2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just had 2 more dogs come through, while i was on my way home from my other spot... they weren't here when i got home. This is ridiculous!

This morning i had a young 8 point following a doe. He broke off and came to check out a scent wick i put out. Grunted in a 3.5 8 point shortly after. I sat until 1130. Movement died off at 945. 20231114_064546.jpg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I had my chance. My target buck came out at 7:09am. He did a quick trot check of the feeder and food plot and came trucking my way. He hit a full sprint as he crossed the creek. When he popped out on my side of the creek, to my surprise he stopped, just 20 yds out, standing broadside. I actually wasn’t nervous. I settled the crosshairs behind his shoulder and just as I released the bolt, he took a step forward with his opposing front leg. That caused me to hit a little far back. Tail clinched and he headed for the trees. I gave him about 30 mins before I got down. I walked to where he entered the trees and found good blood…but also stomach contents. I marked that spot and headed to the cabin for breakfast.

I went back 2 hrs later and picked up the trail, marking it with flag tape as I creeped into the trees. For the first 75 yds, I didn’t even have to struggle to find blood. It was a steady stream. I then started finding only drops, but still good, dark blood. Looked like I got the liver and stomach. At 150 yds, I lost most all blood. I backed out and called for a dog.

At 2:00pm, we got back on the trail. The dog got on a good trail then took us to a major creek crossing (yellow line). His nose was in the air and not on the ground, and since we could find no blood, we went back and started over. The second time, he stayed on blood the whole time. (Red line). We traveled my property and two of my neighbors but we had to stop when we got to a neighbor I did not know. Where the red line ends is where we suspended the track with confirmed blood. I have since made contact with that neighbor and now have permission to search their property.

Looking at the map this evening, I noticed that the spillway of that pond (blue line) runs down and enters the main creek just south of where the dog took us when he was off blood. I am going to search that area tomorrow as the deer might possibly have made his way to that pond and back toward the creek. Here’s to hope!

I swear I think I am cursed to not get this deer. So much history and so many opportunities, only to have yet another mishap throw a wrench in the works.

IMG_5421.jpeg
IMG_5044.jpeg
IMG_5041.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far my hunting has been very lackluster. Mature does are scattered, 90% activity is at night save for young bucks and fawns. The weather isn't helping in the evenings. I've grunted and rattled in a couple of bucks, including this morning. Have yet to see a buck on camera over 3.5...

Last night asi was walking home, i heard a bark and i spun around. Here come two dogs dead sprint. I didn't have my head lamp on my head nor my pistol with me. Luckily they changed demeanor at 5 yards. I walked backward the rest of the way to the house and called my wife to bring my pistol out. They eventually made their way off down the driveway. They've been around for 2 weeks, mainly at night, and are getting skinnier. It explains some things about lack of deer movement.
Time for some scraps left outside for those hungry scavengers. Then some 00 buck. 😡

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have the exact same problem except we know who owns them. Think they let dogs out for weekend then kennel during week while at work. Back out around 5 pm during week. They won't stop or come to a whistle - just looking for next deer to run.
Shoot, shovel and shut up. The three SSS’S of feral dog issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom