2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glassed this one in cut milo chasing does yesterday evening just before dark. Made the trek early this morning through the mud(sucked) and set about 60y from where saw him the night before. Started seeing deer about 0745 and about 0800 sure enough down the center of the draw that borders the milo here he comes with a handful of does. Got them to stop about 40y away and sqeezed the trigger. About a min later here comes a coyote so I felt he deserved the same. 1986 built Ruger M77 in .280 with 140gr partitions. Not sure which has more scratches, nicks and dings, the gun or the old VII 3-9 Leopold on it lol. If I were sitting where any of my cams are, I wouldn't have seen hardly anything today.

View attachment 431233View attachment 431234View attachment 431235
Good job okie.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I took the safety off on a decent 3 1/2 year old last night. Contemplated for a bit and then clicked it back on. Might have been the nicest deer I’ve ever done that with. One of the other guys would have shot him in an instant. My son said I should have shot just for that reason.
I’m hoping he makes it through the season though.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats, Okie! That's a heck of a deer!

I sat until 1245 yesterday, seeing 4 bucks, a single doe and the same group of 2 does + 2 fawns twice. One of the bucks was pretty wide and i only got a quick glance at him. My son asked to go yesterday afternoon looking for his first deer. We got a later start than i wanted and a beautiful buck beat us there. We ended up in a 60 yard stare down with him until he walked off.

Being small property, i don't care for him to use my AR as i don't trust a 62gr bullet to not make me track across multiple properties. My 30-06 is too much for him and I'm not trying to scar his forehead, so he's using a crossbow.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
12k less deer checked in this year vs last as of this morning.
I 100% believe that. Several folks I've talked to have remarked on this year being "off" for them too. Most rutting action was at night for me, with only little bucks visible in daylight. It's been a rough season so far with only 1 mature buck showing up on two properties all season...

Latest posts

Top Bottom