2024 Deer Season Stories/Pics/Etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunblinder

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A big congratulations to you guys and gals that have already taken a deer this season!!!

I'm still waiting for cooler weather or a rainy day.
Just dress appropriately…
IMG_2069.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got sticker shock this afternoon when I found out what my preferred taxidermist is charging this year. He’s up $175 (21%) from what he charged in 2020…which given the economy and the way other things have gone up probably isn’t bad, but the price kind of made me rethink whether I really want to shoulder mount him or not.

Before anyone starts suggesting cheaper taxidermists, I’ve had 15+/- bucks mounted over the last 35 years, and I know what decent, good, and great taxidermy work looks like. All taxidermists aren’t created equal. There are at least a couple guys locally that charge less, and I might use them if I kill a decent deer east TX. However, there’s no way I’d let them mount an Oklahoma buck that’s going to be on the wall beside my 2004 and 2020 bucks done by world class taxidermists.

Ok, I got that off my chest, and I’m just going to have to grin and grit my teeth as I pay the guy. Once it’s done and on the wall, I probably won’t think about it again.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely not. I haven’t had an opportunity to try them on a pig yet, and for a buck of that quality, there was no way I’d gamble on possibly substandard equipment. Once again, I used the Carbon Express XT4 hea
I didn’t think so but thought you may have had it on the arrow, especially if you didn’t have e this buck patterned.
I got sticker shock this afternoon when I found out what my preferred taxidermist is charging this year. He’s up $175 (21%) from what he charged in 2020…which given the economy and the way other things have gone up probably isn’t bad, but the price kind of made me rethink whether I really want to shoulder mount him or not.

Before anyone starts suggesting cheaper taxidermists, I’ve had 15+/- bucks mounted over the last 35 years, and I know what decent, good, and great taxidermy work looks like. All taxidermists aren’t created equal. There are at least a couple guys locally that charge less, and I might use them if I kill a decent deer east TX. However, there’s no way I’d let them mount an Oklahoma buck that’s going to be on the wall beside my 2004 and 2020 bucks done by world class taxidermists.

Ok, I got that off my chest, and I’m just going to have to grin and grit my teeth as I pay the guy. Once it’s done and on the wall, I probably won’t think about it again.
That’s the truth!! Did one last year and it was $650 😳
In 2004 I think I paid $250.
What’s a world class taxidermist charge these days? They definitely are not all created equal!
I think since 2020 mine went up $200 if I remember right.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That's why I shoot smaller deer...saves a little money on the taxidermy bill.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn’t think so but thought you may have had it on the arrow, especially if you didn’t have e this buck patterned.
I only carry tested and “trued” bolt/broadhead combos to the stand. I replaced the scope on my back up crossbow today with a Holosun 509t red dot for pig hunting, and I spent at least a couple hours testing and pairing broadheads and bolts.
I had a “friend” ask to come over this evening for me to attempt for the second time to sight in his crossbow, and I was finally able to get it done by throwing his crappy broadheads in the trash and giving him 4 of mine. We had to try a couple different ones to find the right combination, but it’s shooting great now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom