2024 Deer Season Stories/Pics/Etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Activity around my place seems pretty much the same other than bachelor groups breaking up. It appears some bucks have left, but there’s a few new dinks moving through.

I’m still trying to justify the drive up just to fill feeders, because there’s nothing on camera that makes me want to get in a stand. My wife is starting to think something is wrong with me.
I haven't been yet lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is story behind this hunt is a little funny. JM had passed on this buck 10 days earlier. I'm like, really? Are you sure? Why? He said it was not the buck that he wanted. Okay, so I let it ride until the weekend. I reminded him that he can harvest 2 bucks so get a good buck on the ground and then wait on the one that you want. I also reminded him that we may not ever see either buck again. Well, when he saw this one again, he put it down. He didn't make the best shot, but it didn't go far. Since this was a school day, he had permission to come in late. I got him to school with two minutes to spare. He harvested his first one last year with a muzzle loader. He had never shot a ML before. He got this one with a crossbow. Now, he needs to get one with a rifle. Not bad for a 11-year-old. Take a kid hunting!!!!!

View attachment 520890
Most awesome! Please pass on congrats to the young hunter that has earned that title and you for taking him!

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck with as little deer as I've seen on camera, and all 4 of my sits this year I'd be happy with just a 'decent' buck. We need to fill that freezer. I dont see myself passing on very many does this season either. The weather forecast for black powder season doesn't get me real optimistic, but we roll with the punches, right?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck with as little deer as I've seen on camera, and all 4 of my sits this year I'd be happy with just a 'decent' buck. We need to fill that freezer. I dont see myself passing on very many does this season either. The weather forecast for black powder season doesn't get me real optimistic, but we roll with the punches, right?
Last few days of ML is the second new moon of October, so even with the weather like it is, hunting could still be really good. For proof, you can reference my post in this thread from the first new moon of the month…you know, the one where I’m posing behind a nice buck killed on a 90* and windy afternoon. :thumb:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Activity around my place seems pretty much the same other than bachelor groups breaking up. It appears some bucks have left, but there’s a few new dinks moving through.

I’m still trying to justify the drive up just to fill feeders, because there’s nothing on camera that makes me want to get in a stand. My wife is starting to think something is wrong with me.
Might follow this thread. 🤷‍♂️

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone hunt or see activity on their cameras lately? Hunted Fri morning and just saw the one doe about 7:50am. Camera didn’t have much on them except a shooter Buck that we have never seen before did show up about 6pm on the 15th. Hope he sticks around obviously.

Outside of that only a few other Buck pics, and doe activity was slow too.
When I went out on Friday (10/18) evening, I saw 12-15 doe and two small bucks. The only thing that came into range was one of the spike bucks and a doe with a sucking fawn.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last few days of ML is the second new moon of October, so even with the weather like it is, hunting could still be really good. For proof, you can reference my post in this thread from the first new moon of the month…you know, the one where I’m posing behind a nice buck killed on a 90* and windy afternoon. :thumb:
A second new moon in October? According to the moon phases, there's a new moon on 11/1, and waning crescent 10/28-31.

Assuming you're referring to the ML season here it ends on 11/3.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A second new moon in October? According to the moon phases, there's a new moon on 11/1, and waning crescent 10/28-31.

Assuming you're referring to the ML season here it ends on 11/3.
If you want to get technical, yeah, the actual new moon is on the 1st, but the days leading up to and just after are high rated hunting days on the solunar calendar. October 3rd, the evening I killed my buck, was actually the day after the new moon but was still a 4 star rated day like the actual new moon.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to get technical, yeah, the actual new moon is on the 1st, but the days leading up to and just after are high rated hunting days on the solunar calendar. October 3rd, the evening I killed my buck, was actually the day after the new moon but was still a 4 star rated day like the actual new moon.
Which solunar calendar do you use to gauge those best hunting days? I've looked at like 3 of them and they all say something different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom