22LR Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger MK series pistols are great. Very accurate with several different configurations to choose from.
If looking for a revolver, I prefer Ruger again in the form of a single six.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want something really cheap, the Heritage Rough Riders can usually be found for as low as $99 and you can order the extra .22 mag cylinder from Heritage through their website for $30 more. They are not high quality guns, but they are fun little plinkers. If I didn't already have a Rough Rider, and wanted that style revolver, I'd spend the extra and get the Ruger Wrangler. I say that without ever having actually handled a Wrangler, but I would imagine the quality is quite a bit higher, and I think you can find them on sale for under $200. But they don't make a .22 mag conversion cylinder for them, if that appeals to you.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Walter P22. I love mine --- accurate, light, and it's been amongst the most dependable 22's I've owned since I sold off a SW22a a few years back. Very comfy to carry in a Bianchi holster too.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we met for lunch, and I had him read all of your comments. After all your fine input, he decided to order a M&P Compact like mine.

He did say to tell you thanks!

for what it’s worth, I tried to steer him to the new Kel-Tec. The three mags, and 17rd capacity seems like a worthy offer.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&P is a good first gun. Its really about budget and getting something reliable with a quality company to stand behind it. Had he been willing to spend more I would have said Mark IV or Buckmark. I have shot or own most of the 22lrs spoke of in this thread. I personally think the G44 is the funnest 22LR made right now. I still probably wouldn't recommend it for a first gun due to some bad press could freak the guy out. The Taurus I just couldn't recommend to anyone. Their service is absolute rubbish in my experience. That gun has great reviews but I just can't force myself to spend money on their stuff or recommend it.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The M&P is a good first gun. Its really about budget and getting something reliable with a quality company to stand behind it. Had he been willing to spend more I would have said Mark IV or Buckmark. I have shot or own most of the 22lrs spoke of in this thread. I personally think the G44 is the funnest 22LR made right now. I still probably wouldn't recommend it for a first gun due to some bad press could freak the guy out. The Taurus I just couldn't recommend to anyone. Their service is absolute rubbish in my experience. That gun has great reviews but I just can't force myself to spend money on their stuff or recommend it.

I would also recommend the M&P Compact or the Ruger MK IV depending on how much one was willing to spend.

I'm curious...What makes you say that the G44 is the most fun 22LR made right now?

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also recommend the M&P Compact or the Ruger MK IV depending on how much one was willing to spend.

I'm curious...What makes you say that the G44 is the most fun 22LR made right now?
No scientific reason, I am sure its the fact I like glocks and polymer guns. I have shot a G19 since I started shooting pistols. So it just feels natural and controls are simple. Its very light with the hybrid slide but it still balances very well and is easy to aim and shoot for me. I would dare to say my 11 year old would agree. He loves shooting single action but if he could only have a single 22 LR. He would never give up his g44.

Latest posts

Top Bottom