.243 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up picking up a Savage .243 accutrigger today. I'll be taking it out this Saturday and see how the shoulder handles it. I'll find out pretty quick if I can tolerate it,and if not I'll check into a shoulder pad, then all else fails, I'll stick with .223.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just be sure to use a good "hunting" bullet with the smaller caliber. It is harder to get away with shooting varmint or match bullets with the smaller calibers. I prefer the 100 grain Hornady BTSP myself in 243.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only options they had up at H&H today were 80gr and 95gr. I got a box of each to run though to see the results. More expensive than 30-30 rounds....

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken 5 or 6 deer with .243. Had to track every one of them. Some left good blood trails, some left none. All were shot in the heart/lung area. I've used Remington 100 grain CoreLok, Speer 90 grain reloads, Hornady 87 grain reloads. Some bullets were recovered, some passed through. My son has taken two with his .243 using Winchester 100 grain bullets. Neither were DRT, both were pass through shot. He has a Savage Axis without the Accutrigger. The factory recoil pad does an excellent job. It has considerably less felt recoil than my Browning BAR or my Remington 660. They both have hard plastic but plates.

On the other hand, this year's deer was taken with a .45-70, 476 grain cast bullet. Pass through shot, no blood trail, ran about 50 to 75 yards before dropping.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut, you'll end up liking your new Savage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom