.243 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I haven't been deer hunting in years, and had shoulder surgery year and a half ago. My shoulder can't take shooting my 30-30 very much, so I've been looking at getting into a .243 so maybe I can go out this year. I've heard they are like shooting a .223/5.56 in felt recoil which I can tolerate no problem. Is this true?

There's several options out there, and I'd like to hear and pros/cons of experiences you've had with different make/models.

I'm looking for something with a good - real good trigger, with around a 1/10 twist, or even into the 9's if I found a decent price on one, so I have the option of shooting heavier loads. Any recommendation?

I'll be going to the gun show this weekend, so is there any older .243s I should watch for, and if so, what would your opinion be of a "decent" price range for it?

Thanks for reading/your time!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Get a good stock that fits you, and a good recoil pad. When I got my new stock with pachmayr decelerator pad, the first time I pulled the trigger I thought it had misfired because the felt recoil was so low. That was on my .243 Rem 700. Oh, the new stock was about 2lbs lighter than the old one. Went from one of the Choate stocks (***HEAVY!***) to a B&C A2.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote is for a Savage with accutrigger. 243 tends to be accurate even in a stock rifle. Mine shoots 1/2 moa at 200 yards if I do my part. 1:10 will stabilize 100gr hunting rounds with no problem.

Recoil isn't much, but more than 5.56. My friend with shoulder issues used mine on our last hog hunt with no problems. That includes a box or so of rounds ran through it to check zero.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to muddy the water but some of my 30-30 reloads are light enough to barely notice the recoil. Just something to think about.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are having problems shooting 30-30, 243 is not going to be much better.

I would recommend going to 223 and keep your distances down.

If you get into reloading - you can go to 6PPC or 6BR ... with 6BR you won't give up much to any other deer cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom