3 screw single six

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I bought this old Ruger single six 22cal. from a family member who needed some cash. I'm sure I overpaid but she needed the help so....

Anyway I see on the Ruger website they offer a "re-finish" for $130. I assume that to mean a re-blue of the gun. I'm probably already more into this pistol than I'll ever get out of it, so I'm thinking I'd rather have a gun that looks nice than worry about any potential collector value. The finish is completely gone. I want to continue to shoot it ( it functions perfectly) but I don't want to see it start rusting.

What do you think ? Re-blue or keep it original.
S/N puts it at 1953 if I understand the Ruger S/N look up correctly.

I appreciate any input.

20221122_212425.jpg20221122_212432.jpg20221122_212450.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make it work for you. At least you can say that you had the factory refinish it. Keep the paperwork if you think you’ll sell it in the future.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d have it reblued but not buy Ruger. They’ll screw the whole thing up by putting in that dreaded transfer bar. You can have that undone by a gunsmith but why? Just have them do the bluing. Nothing is cooler than that click-click-click-click when you cock the hammer. Here’s a pic of mine made in 1960.
DBB9365C-A66F-4EC6-AA9A-AA2FD031762B.jpeg

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d have it reblued but not buy Ruger. They’ll screw the whole thing up by putting in that dreaded transfer bar. You can have that undone by a gunsmith but why? Just have them do the bluing. Nothing is cooler than that click-click-click-click when you cock the hammer. Here’s a pic of mine made in 1960. View attachment 321971
That's pretty

I was wondering about the transfer bar if Ruger re-blued it. I guess they would have to do the conversion if I sent it to them.
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Anyone recommend a good Smith in the Tulsa area ?

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any guesses to its value in the condition shown? Just curious.
Like I said, I know I'll never see my money back, but I bought it to shoot, not to flip, as well as to help out a family member.
This is the first time I actually told my wife I was paying too much for something I wanted :bolt:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought this old Ruger single six 22cal. from a family member who needed some cash. I'm sure I overpaid but she needed the help so....

Anyway I see on the Ruger website they offer a "re-finish" for $130. I assume that to mean a re-blue of the gun. I'm probably already more into this pistol than I'll ever get out of it, so I'm thinking I'd rather have a gun that looks nice than worry about any potential collector value. The finish is completely gone. I want to continue to shoot it ( it functions perfectly) but I don't want to see it start rusting.

What do you think ? Re-blue or keep it original.
S/N puts it at 1953 if I understand the Ruger S/N look up correctly.

I appreciate any input.

View attachment 321961View attachment 321960View attachment 321959
Talk to Wayne at the Hunters Den in Choteau OK just east of us on 69 hwy.. he has hot blue tanks set up and does a nice job that's who i use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom