300 blackout vs 7.62-39?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.300 BO.
Proven reliability, cross platform similarity to 5.56, reliable sub sonic ammo.
7.62 x 39 in an ar platform if iffy at best.some run well, most dont. Granted, that can be more of a magazine issue having to work within the confines of an AR pattern lower receiver.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.62x39 because ammo is not $1.00 per round.

Modern variations of the AR in 7.62x39 are just as reliable as 300blk, hell, rifle and barrel manufacturers can't even agree on where to place and what size to drill the gas port on the 300blk.

I prefer 20 rd mags over 30 rd mags.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't kill pigs all the time, but when I do, I prefer the 6.8 SPC II. You can often find deals for Federal XM68 bonded soft point for $.46/rd. Better ballistics and energy than 300 Blackout.
One last night, one shot DRT.
20160218_185445.jpg

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 7.62x39 AR's,(Fatboy tactical barrel and BCG) if they're so bad, maybe someone can show me what I am missing.
Twice as accurate as my AK's and so far, just as reliable.
Over 1600 rounds through both.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
very quiet and very limited range. Im pretty sure I got a flatter trajectory out of my recurve bow than my 300blk with subs. Also a lack of expansion and overall horrible for a hunting round.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Op asked for a close quarters ar platform. Thats inside 50 yards to me, and probably half that most of the time. There is more to my definition, but that part covers the op's question. Trajectory is a non point at that distance. Sound suppression in 300BO is much more effective when using sub sonic ammo. Like, i can shoot at several hogs in a group without them running off immediately from the crack of a super sonic round, effective.
I choose a projectile using this method, 1. Reliability 2. Accuracy 3. Special Sauce.
Sure, most people love that special sauce, and it sells ammo, but I think they should concentrate their efforts on maximizing their effective shot placement. Yes, that takes work and time. Some prefer to buy their way to that effectiveness. That said, there are adequate hunting rounds, in sub sonic; that perform well within the parameters the op stated, and are reliable and accurate.
300BO is a niche round, well suited for what the op asked. In fact, it is probably the only reason to own a 300BO.
Congrats to all you guys who have x39 ARs that run. I have yet to see one that did well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom