300 blackout vs 7.62-39?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Two .30 cal bullets of the same weight going relatively the same speed out of two different .30 cal cartridges equals................ it's no riddle.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of both rounds... but for the AR platform I'd go 300blk. Main reason being you can use the same Mags, Bolt Carrier Group and lower that you use for the 5.56mm. Makes for a more versatile weapon if that sways you either way. Ammo has come down in price especially if you buy in bulk f/many of the online retailers. And of course if you're going suppressed, the 300blk is king. :)

callmecamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you must go with the AR platform, then go .300 blk. If you're not going to suppress it though, get an AK or 5.56 AR (if you don't already have one or both) and be done with it. 300blk is made to be suppressed with subsonic rounds out of a 10" barrel. I can definitely see the appeal of such a gun for a variety of reasons. The only reason I don't have one at the moment is the overall cost involved with the suppressor, ammo, and new upper.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cat57 is onto something. I have heard about issues from friends with the AR platform not shooting steel cased ammo very reliably.
Some sold the AR and went SKS. I had an SKS and to me it was not accurate past 100 yards... But you could build your own 300 blk ammo.

I chronied some 300 blackout ammo that had a 110 Vmax bullet,, shot from an 8" barrel 2036fps it penetrated 4 water filled milk jugs and jacket and lead core separated and the lead core looked like a 1/2" disc. Found remains in the 4th gallon milk jug.

Each jug in line that it went into and out of had progressivly larger holes.
I was impressed.

close quarters a .22 will kill a hog shot in the correct spot.
A Moose was killed with a .177 pellet rifle.. No kidding.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Op asked for a close quarters ar platform. Thats inside 50 yards to me, and probably half that most of the time. There is more to my definition, but that part covers the op's question. Trajectory is a non point at that distance. Sound suppression in 300BO is much more effective when using sub sonic ammo. Like, i can shoot at several hogs in a group without them running off immediately from the crack of a super sonic round, effective.
I choose a projectile using this method, 1. Reliability 2. Accuracy 3. Special Sauce.
Sure, most people love that special sauce, and it sells ammo, but I think they should concentrate their efforts on maximizing their effective shot placement. Yes, that takes work and time. Some prefer to buy their way to that effectiveness. That said, there are adequate hunting rounds, in sub sonic; that perform well within the parameters the op stated, and are reliable and accurate.
300BO is a niche round, well suited for what the op asked. In fact, it is probably the only reason to own a 300BO.
Congrats to all you guys who have x39 ARs that run. I have yet to see one that did well.

I will agree with you except in my experience, even with supers, the critters don't run for the hills like they do un-supressed. They startle and then try to figure out what they heard and what direction it came from. I shoot supers and subs through my SAKER 7.62 and absolutely love it. I also shoot 5.56 through it and equal love factor there.

For factory I like the 110 TAC-TX ($$$ but great expansion) and S&B 124grn for punching paper. I prefer to hand load my subsonics and am going to dabble with supers once I get my hand on some TAC-TX bullets.

To OP, I have known several folks with 7.62X39 ARs that ran with zero issue. My preference is on 300BLK only because I can produce my own brass and reload. If I was to stockpile ammo from factory and not shoot subs, I would choose 7.62X39 based on the hurting 300 would put on my wallet.

Either will be effective at >50 yards.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Inside 50 and want to be quiet....ever consider a bow?
Fast reloads with a bow? But you make a great point on quiet and close in.

I have been doing this awhile and killed tons of hogs. (Literally) Weapon choice is going to ultimately depend on what you want to accomplish. Do you want to shoot one or maybe 2 hogs every now and again? Do you want to get in close for the adrenaline rush and get a kill on a hog before it gets you?(The charging hog is really rare by the way) Do you want to kill large numbers to eliminate a hog problem on a ranch? (Nearly impossible with daytime hunting alone) Are you wanting something to suppress and be as quiet as possible?

Pigguy come back and tell a little more about what you are wanting to do and I can make better suggestions.

pigguy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
oklahomabassin,I have no intention of getting a suppressor,where I hunt shots could be from point blank to maybe 60 yards because it is so thick.I have been charged twice in the last 15 years of hunting them,an adrenaline rush that I would rather avoid,but still fun! I woul like to take a hog everytime I go,the rancher lets me deer hunt his property on the condition I shoot every hog and coyote I see, so I try to do both for him year round,thank you everybody for your input,love the OSA

Latest posts

Top Bottom