308 better than 30-06?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about powder burn rate effects how true a bullet flies after leaving the barrel?

I can see that consistent powder burn would mean that, from round to round, the same velocity would be achieved, meaning that from round to round performance would be the same....but that is not the definition of "accuracy".

I believe the term you're looking for is "precision" -- meaning the degree to which a certain level of performance can be repeated.

consistency is accuracy

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I the 7mm better for long range?

Yes. The 7mm-08 was developed by benchrest shooters. As I understand it, the frontal area of a .284 bullet creates lots less drag than the .308 and that makes for flatter shooting rounds with other factors being equal.

That's one of the reasons the .280 Remington (really .284=7mm) is considered about the best of all deer cartridges by lots of the experts.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. So then what is the best round for long range. 800ish yards

Wow - talk about dropping a grenade in a crowd of people :D

There are tons and tons of answers to that question (all based on different preferences i.e. cost, effect of wind on the cartridge, speed, stability, etc...).

Is money no object?

Carlos Hathcock did ok with 06 :bowdown:

He was also the first person to put an optic on a .50 BMG rifle - doing the best with what you have doesn't necessarily mean its the best thing around (or your preference).

If I hit the lottery tonight, I'll have a bunch of calibers besides just .308

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another aspect is total round weight. Lot easier to carry 100 .308winnies opposed to 100 50 30.06s.

For those arguing accuracy,... I can provide a really nice .308 if someone can provide a really nice 30.06. I really want to see you shoot, cause you must be a uber professional long range marksman. I'm putting my money on the fact that none of us here are good enough to be able to detect the accuracy difference between the two.

For the record, I am very fond of the 7mms. If you can handle the recoil, the 7mmRM is a great long distance shooter.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another aspect is total round weight. Lot easier to carry 100 .308winnies opposed to 100 50 30.06s.

For those arguing accuracy,... I can provide a really nice .308 if someone can provide a really nice 30.06. I really want to see you shoot, cause you must be a uber professional long range marksman. I'm putting my money on the fact that none of us here are good enough to be able to detect the accuracy difference between the two.

For the record, I am very fond of the 7mms. If you can handle the recoil, the 7mmRM is a great long distance shooter.

You aren't kidding. Those are scope breakers and shoulder bruisers, but they shoot far and flat. Great in bean fields where 500 yards is the norm. Don't have one, but am always looking for a bargain in one.

I believe Hathcock also did quite a bit with .308 weapons. His .50 scope was designed to go on the twin .50s that were standard for about every camp. He would bolt it on, sight it in, and had an instant sniper .50.

I will never forgive the Marine Corps for the way they treated him in terms of his retirement. He did everything while suffering from MS through most of his very distinguished career, and only a few months before normal retirement they forced him out, very much against his will, on a medical. It made a difference in his retirement pay and hurt his feelings. I was very sorry to hear he had died. He was on my short list of people to meet. CB

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yup....

Scope breaker....come on CB...:lmfao:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either one will easily do 800 yards. The benefits of the larger case and ability to shoot heavier bullets of the .30'06 really help after 1000 yards or so.

If you are only wanting to shoot 800 yards and less, I would probably go with a .308 just because it is more common.