.308 bolt gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also in the middle of the search. If you are planning on getting into long range shooting, from what I have read, match barrels are only "Match" grade for the first 2500 rounds then they drop to standard grade. (internet stuff I am not a guru). The general suggestion seems to be get something to practice with. Once you can hits the bulls eye at 300m then its time to start thinking about some upgrades.

I am looking at Savage, barrel changes seem easy to do. I have just started to research what model to get to start with. Also looks like you can go from 223 and up to 308, 30-06 with a barrel and maybe a bolt face change. Which appeals to me.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also in the middle of the search. If you are planning on getting into long range shooting, from what I have read, match barrels are only "Match" grade for the first 2500 rounds then they drop to standard grade. (internet stuff I am not a guru).

rgood...this is some bad information. There is no magic number of when a barrels performance drops off. What makes a barrel 'match' vs 'standard' grade is subjective and is based in marketing tactics for most manufacturers.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rgood...this is some bad information. There is no magic number of when a barrels performance drops off. What makes a barrel 'match' vs 'standard' grade is subjective and is based in marketing tactics for most manufacturers.

Not sure I follow this. A barrel such as a brux or rock creek is subjectively a standard or match grade barrel and possibly only marketed as a match grade barrel for tactics of selling it? From what I understood; a match barrel is made to a higher grade of craftsmanship and tolerance to give the most accuracy possible. What I thought a brux, rock creek, benchmark, shillen where supposed to be. Am I wrong with any of this? I have never really researched what a match barrel is so I could be wrong. Either way I am a sucker for their marketing ploy.

Last edited:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure I follow this. A barrel such as a brux or rock creek is subjectively a standard or match grade barrel and possibly only marketed as a match grade barrel for tactics of selling it? From what I understood; a match barrel is made to a higher grade of craftsmanship and tolerance to give the most accuracy possible. What I thought a brux, rock creek, benchmark, shillen where supposed to be. Am I wrong with any of this? I have never really researched what a match barrel is so I could be wrong. Either way I am a sucker for their marketing ploy.

Quality barrel makers don't usually use monikers like "match" or "tactical" or whatever is popular today.

We continually strive to produce the highest quality barrel that we can make. We use quality materials, tooling and machines, along with our years of experience in both the machine tool trade and competition shooting to bring you our best. -Brux website

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't think you are misunderstanding. Perhaps I didn't explain well enough. Match grade is a subjective term. Any company can use it. "Our barrels are match grade" Ok, so what does that mean exactly? The top quality producers will say things like our barrels are air gauged to .0001" of dimensional uniformity and are free from any tooling marks. Shilen, Kreiger, Bartlein, Lilja, and more will give you a standard that they are producing barrels to. The point really is just because a barrel says match grade doesn't necessarily mean anything, since there is no standard or definition that says a match grade barrel possesses these 'X' number of characteristics. That is the true point I was trying to make. Of course if you buy a barrel from any of the above names, including the ones you named, you are getting a top quality barrel produced to the highest standards.

Ive used barrels from Lilja, Kreiger, Bartlein, and Shilen. They all produce excellent barrels and given to top level shooters, are capable of wining whatever game you decide to play.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you are misunderstanding. Perhaps I didn't explain well enough. Match grade is a subjective term. Any company can use it. "Our barrels are match grade" Ok, so what does that mean exactly? The top quality producers will say things like our barrels are air gauged to .0001" of dimensional uniformity and are free from any tooling marks. Shilen, Kreiger, Bartlein, Lilja, and more will give you a standard that they are producing barrels to. The point really is just because a barrel says match grade doesn't necessarily mean anything, since there is no standard or definition that says a match grade barrel possesses these 'X' number of characteristics. That is the true point I was trying to make. Of course if you buy a barrel from any of the above names, including the ones you named, you are getting a top quality barrel produced to the highest standards.

Ive used barrels from Lilja, Kreiger, Bartlein, and Shilen. They all produce excellent barrels and given to top level shooters, are capable of wining whatever game you decide to play.

Ok, I think I am on the same page now. I have noticed the top manufactures talk about their quality and procedures they follow quite often.

okkaps

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd start with a Rem 700 SPS AAC (663 shipped from Buds) and put a Vortex on it. I'm not sure if your 1k budget is for rifle and scope but I'm assuming it is...shoot it some then replace the stock and get it bedded, get bolt knob, action worked, maybe trigger, etc. That factory gun will out shoot you while you develop your skills.