.308 deer loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody out there that hunts with a .308 rifle what is your deer load of choice? I was thinking of going with the federal permium thats loaded with sierra gameking bullets. Its about $35 per box at academy

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot 125 gr ballistic tip handloads in my .308 for deer. I have lower recoil and the bullets group 5/8" @100 yds. These bullets have been turning the lights out on deer for years. I also shoot 165 gr gamekings in my M1A and they group 3/4" @100 yds. These are also handloaded.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federal Power-Shok 150grs. I bought a case awhile back and I think I paid less that $14/box. The deer that I killed with that load where under 100yds and it knocked them flat.

If I was going to handload, I think I'd load up some 125gr projectiles at least for the size of deer I see.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plain jane Rem core locks or Win what ever 150 gr sold at Wally world worked for me, until I loaded my own .Not necessary to pay for premium bullets for deer
My hand loads used Nosler 150 bts & Sierra 150 gameking

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer are not super exotic bulletproof animals. Premium bullets are not required. Remington Corlokt and Winchester PowerPoint have been used for many many years and if you put your bullet in the right spot they would do the job just fine. Federal fusion might be a bit better and of course the ones you mentioned will work also. It's your money.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was using Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 169gr, but I find that in .308, they're probably not necessary (now in a 55gr .223, I buy them all day long and they work very well at justifying their cost).

I just picked up some American Eagle Open Tip Match (Federal bullet) 168gr ammo for less than $1/rd that I'm going to hunt with just to test it out this year. We'll see.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was using Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 169gr, but I find that in .308, they're probably not necessary (now in a 55gr .223, I buy them all day long and they work very well at justifying their cost).

I just picked up some American Eagle Open Tip Match (Federal bullet) 168gr ammo for less than $1/rd that I'm going to hunt with just to test it out this year. We'll see.

I didn't think the OTM bullets expanded or am I missing the point of your test?

Latest posts

Top Bottom