.38 spec. / .357 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And later on when you grow up to the big boy league you can load 357 Max with them. :urwelcome: I'll be here all week.

No disrespect to OP by the way, just clowning around. :bowdown:

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read that putting 357 loads in 38 brass results in crazy high pressure s and is dangerous.

This is the way I understand it also. Plus you don't want a bunch of overpowered loads sitting around in 38 special brass. This could cause problems for someone shooting them and did not know how they were loaded, or if you have a brain fart 3 years down the road. It is just not a safe practice. Just load them as standard 38 specials and all is right with the world.

Keith was a super bad ass innovator for his time. I would not be trying to duplicate his loads though.

Shoot the hell out of that 38 brass and enjoy that GP 100. My four inch is my absolute favorite double action. One other note of caution and it is not really that big of a deal. If you shoot a lot of 38 special in your magnum you will get build up in the cylinder. I little is not a problem. If you shoot a couple hundred cast bullets from 38 special brass, you might have enough built up that will keep your magnum rounds from seating properly in the cylinder. They just have to be scrubbed out when you clean. Like I said it is no big deal just a facto of like. Same thing happens shooting 44 special in a 44 mag.

Good luck.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And later on when you grow up to the big boy league you can load 357 Max with them. :urwelcome: I'll be here all week.

No disrespect to OP by the way, just clowning around. :bowdown:

No disrespect taken. But I will have to hit you up later for the .357 Max loads!
Right now I'm gonna stick to the lighter stuff and work my way up. Slowly.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the interesting info and tips! It has been a thread I've learned a lot from
and a thread I learned I have a lot to learn! lol

I have been reloading cast lead wadcutters that are 148 gr. however, I have some
Hornady XTP .357 in 140 gr and158 gr that I was planning on loading in the .38 spec
brass. So I'm looking forward to getting to work on some of that.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You never stated what caliber your GP 100 is
Or did i miss it?
I have a mold i use to cast 170 gr gas checked bullets
They shoot really good, I size mine to .357"
as my barrel is .3565" and my cylinder is .357"
If i sized to .358" i lead up the forcing cone going into the barrel.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You never stated what caliber your GP 100 is
Or did i miss it?
I have a mold i use to cast 170 gr gas checked bullets
They shoot really good, I size mine to .357"
as my barrel is .3565" and my cylinder is .357"
If i sized to .358" i lead up the forcing cone going into the barrel.

Sorry, it's a .357 mag that of course shoots both .38 special / .357 mag. It's a heavy bodied revolver
That will shoot hot loads all day with out blinking. I'm kind of partial to it I guess....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet!
I have my dead fathers 357 mag german made with ventrib 6" barrel and adjustable sights.
It is my wife's favorite gun to shoot. this is a group from 70 feet shooting 2 handed standing up no rest.
Powder puff load.. but fun fun fun.... wife loves it...
357magnum dope 003.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously that was a WC she was shooting, but what size? Weight?

That was the only bullet i shoot in 357.
It is the lee SWC 2 cavity mold and it is the 158 gr mold but the thing makes my bullets come out at 170gr with my lead mix. That load is 5.1gr of HP38. I like the mold..I will probably get another but in 6 cavity.

I have used that same load in 38 brass but set the length to my .357 specs.. No issues but it is a powder puff load for a 357.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...8-diameter-158-grain-semi-wadcutter-gas-check

Latest posts

Top Bottom