4473's and ID

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't count the number of 4473's I've filled out over the years but each and everytime I've always shown my OK DL as ID.

Recently while just browsing around I caught a link to the 4473 pdf from the ATF and read it with a fine tooth comb and that got me to wondering...

Would the OK photo ID for a carry concealed weapon license be an acceptable form of ID for a 4473? After all it is government issued, it has a picture and one's address on it. Considering that it is issued by a law enforcement agency and the checks one must go thru to get it it seems as if it should be acceptable.

Next time I buy a new gun I'm gonna give it a shot. But until then one wonders if anyone has ever tried using it for a 4473 and what your experience was like?

ASIDE: I can tell you from experience that using a CCW for ID doesn't work at retail establishments well at all. Besides usually freaking out the clerk and getting a supervisor involved most have real trouble grasping the concept that the DL and CCW are both government issued picture ID's. It's kind'a fun though to go there when I'm in a contrary or ornery mood.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not about purchasing firearms, but a few years ago I let my driver's license expire. I had to order a new birth certificate from Pennsylvania. They wouldn't give me one because my driver's license was expired.

After a little haggling, they let me use my concealed carry ID as valid identification.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An oklahoma conceal carry permit is acceptable as identification for a 4473 because it satisfies all outlined requirements. It is a regularly issued by a state agency (City would work also), It has an address on it so it can verify residency, and it has a DOB on it to verify age, and it has a picture.

I will say that just because it can be used does not mean that the dealer is obligated to take it.

Ty-

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in some states, a CCW permit exempts you from a NICS check because it's proof that you've already had the appropriate background check done

i wish they would do that in OK

that is the way it was when i lived in Wyoming, if I remember right as well, in Wyoming so did a commission (LEO) card was acceptable as well, becuase it meant you were not prohibited from owning a firearm, and you were clean, but i may be wrong on that one.

I too wish OK would do this, it would be beneficial.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that is the way it was when i lived in Wyoming, if I remember right as well, in Wyoming so did a commission (LEO) card was acceptable as well, becuase it meant you were not prohibited from owning a firearm, and you were clean, but i may be wrong on that one.

I too wish OK would do this, it would be beneficial.

OK used to allow it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom