550 cord goodies...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI-

Cheap! Type 2 Suspension line (The real para cord with the little black tick marks) in packaged lengths for a buck or two at Uptown Thrift store on NW Expressway in OKC, near Rockwell.

Even cheaper on certain days.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a paddle that the entire handle is covered with braided 550 and the paddle face was turned into a very nice plaque. It is was a traditional parting gift from the last unit I was in. My camera phone doesn't do it justice so maybe I can get a decent pic of it later.

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found some paracord at Oklahoma Army Surplus (41st and Memorial) that I don't hate. Six cents a foot, in various colors.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3003_2904679579_ff8ee76962_o.jpg

The monkeyfist is pretty easy with this stuff. The braid is a knot I "invented". I'm certain that it's a pre-existing braid, but I've never seen instructions for it, and don't know a name. Probably some macrame thing. The transition from monkeyfist to braid sucks, something I'll have to work on if I want to make keychains like this.

Rick417

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot about that. I have done that too. I had an upper that had a round solid aluminum free float tube and I wraped it in 550 cord and twisted it on the side. It looked pretty cool I thought.

Can you give any advise on how to do one of these?
I only have the rail on the top of the hand guard. I've started to do it a couple of times but I'm not the craftiest of guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It won't work with that top rail on. Well I guess it could but it wouldn't look right. It's hard to explain how to to it but you will need A LOT of cord. Can't remember how much exactly but just for reference those bracelelts I posted use about 8 feet. Anyway, loop it around your handguards so that you start in the middle of the length of cord. The just start wrapping it around and do a 180 spin/twist on the sides and go back and forth twisting on opposite sides down the length of the tube.

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decided to work up my own bracelet pattern. Figure I'll give away a couple as Christmas presents to my nephews.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3274_2930265178_d5603fef80.jpg

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3003_2930263526_5c64ceca6e.jpg

Took some figuring, but it's made from a single length of cord braided five-cord style. Figured if you're wearing paracord, might as well have a completely usable hank of the stuff if you ever needed it to ward off zombies or something. I think a couple yards went into this one. The knots that "lock" into the loop are an Alpine Butterfly variant I made up because every button knot I could find was either too round or too floppy. There's three of them so you can adjust the length on your arm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom