6.5 creedmoor vs 308win

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
308, for no other reason than thats what I have and I am set to load for. I like the 6.5cm too and have had a few but I know what my 308 likes load wise and there is no need for me to change it if it isnt broken.

last month my brother in law and I were doing some 300 yard practice and I dialed for 300, and got first round hit. Handed him my gun and said its dialed just hold. he held center like I did and his shot landed 1" from mine. Maybe just luck but I will take in lol

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own and have shot my 6.5 CM and my .308 side by side. The CM was a little bit tighter at 100 yds. The holes overlapped at 100 yds on the CM and the .308 were 3/4" group. I love both rounds and have taken elk, deer, coyotes, pigs and armadillos with the .308. My point is if you properly place the shot the animal will go down very quickly. I am now favoring a high neck shot. Everyone hit in the neck drops like a rock DRT, no tracking, same goes for my .223. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement! End of rant.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt with 270 but have hunted with the 6.5 creedmoor never hunted with .308 I know a lot of guys that have and a lot like the creedmoor some cuss the 308 some love it I’m not a paper puncher but I like reloading and finding loads that fit a rifle

Are those guns borrowed?
Is there a reason to get another rifle to hunt in the USA?

Yea I know.
I have many calibers but it's because I can't pass up a bargain.
Maybe you have your eye on a bargain rifle :)

I will say in Oklahoma my favorite white tail/ hog rifle is my .223 Axis.
I find myself grabbing it more often than all the rifles I own.

Rifle choices .308, 30-06, 6.5x55, 6.5 CM, .243, .223/5.56 and the 30-30 which is dead last of my choices.
But I have some light 110-125 gr projectiles that may fix that choice.
I have killed many deer with the 30-30 but not many fall over on the spot and stay sleepin.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are mine what I’m going to do is get another 6.5 from a member here if he still has it when I get the money I been looking at the savage 110 hunter and the new gen II Ruger American I know how to get a creedmoor to shoot good reloads but not the 308 (YET)

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own and have shot my 6.5 CM and my .308 side by side. The CM was a little bit tighter at 100 yds. The holes overlapped at 100 yds on the CM and the .308 were 3/4" group. I love both rounds and have taken elk, deer, coyotes, pigs and armadillos with the .308. My point is if you properly place the shot the animal will go down very quickly. I am now favoring a high neck shot. Everyone hit in the neck drops like a rock DRT, no tracking, same goes for my .223. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement! End of rant.
I use to take neck shots but I shake so bad anymore I am better off with a lung or heart shot

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve watched reviews on both calibers. Some guys supporting the .308 and some the 6.5C. I think this is another one of those 9mm vs .45 debates. Obviously the 9mm is better but it’s just going come down to preference and what you want to get dialed in on your gun
I believe your right this debate could go on for an eternity lol

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a built .308 with a Hart 26" barrel. I've made repeat hits on a 4x5" flapper at 900yds and still carries well at 1000(175gr SMK). When I get it re-barreled, it will be a .260, 24-25", less wind drift with 140gr vld's. I've got a built CTR in .260 that has been my main rifle this year. It has a light Palma Krieger that Jon Beanland put together...love it. I prefer taking lung shots, because I don't like to waste any meat. Shot placement is number one. Yes, a .223 will take out a deer easily too....been there. Anyway, I bought my son a CTR in 6.5 Creed 24" and I plan on trying it out at Happy Hollow tomorrow if the weather isn't too crappy. Also plan to bring a Sako S207mmRM, Sako L61R 7mmRM and a custom BAT 30 Nosler to sight in. Long story short, for deer either are fine. For elk, I'd prefer the ,308 with some Partitions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom