648 firing pin wish me luck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought a Smith 648 for what seemed like a great price, though I did not get the original grips with it. . When I got it to the range I found that at least once per cylinder full I would get a failure-to-fire. After much examination, it appears that the firing pin is damaged. Got one coming to replace it. Will be a first for me on a Smith. Wish me luck.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a piece of cake. Get on the computer and watch some videos on complete disassembly and reassembly. You may even find a video that specifically replaces the firing pin.
Good luck

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went pretty well. Most difficult part was keeping the pin in place in the bushing while going back in the frame. Now just need some time at the range.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the gun feels real smooth like its had an action job. Be prepared to replace the mainspring that is too light. Maybe.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought it that way. Maybe that's why the deal was good.

It is not the best Smith trigger I have, that's for sure. SA pull is nice but the DA pull is very heavy. Thinking about going to lighter springs on everything EXCEPT the main spring.

I had a suggestion to mix some fine polishing compound with oil to form a paste, coat the internals and work the action (without letting the hammer fall) then clean it out. Supposed to slick things up without messing up engagement surfaces.

Thoughts?

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's too bad. Mr. Ed mentioned the main spring possibly too light. It certainly could be you've mentioned that the trigger pull is already king of heavy. If you install a heavier hammer spring the trigger pull with get harder. I have a few of the J frame Smiths, out of the box new the trigger pull is 10-12 pounds. I've done trigger jobs on all of them, inclusive of lighter hammer springs. I have not had any failures to fire. But, I have not tired the CCI ammo. I'm not sure if CCI uses the thicker primers, like military primers, or not? Avoid CCI ammo??? Not sure what to say right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom