7.62 x 39mm dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting a ak or sks. Seems there used to be alot of talk about these rifles, not so much anymore. Is it the caliber or the platform? Or both?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly don't think so....I still know lots of guys buying AK variants, and ammo is still about half the price of 7.62 NATO. I was considering a Vz58, and the cheaper ammo was one reason. Still like to have one, but I like the idea of keeping it down to just a few calibers.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still know alot of guys who love it. I still like it myself. I let my 13 year old shoot my AK last weekend and now he likes it better then the ARs.:gun2:

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of guys had woodies for the 7.62x39 when it was $1.50/20 rounds and .223 was $4.50/20. The gap has narrowed a good bit, tho' 7.62x39 is still about 1/2 the price(foreign-made, that is). In the carbine envelope, it is pretty darn good.

The .223 has more accurate ammo available at a (comparatively) cheaper cost, but that is because US makers all offer loadings, and have put time into developing and mass-producing the round. 7.62x39 isn't "bad", but foreign loads are generally made to deliver the 2MOA mil-spec, not the =/<1MOA US "sport-shooters" have come to demand from .223.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might seem there's not much talk these days about the AK and SKS platforms, compared to November 2008 after the election. Back then, people were snapping up the evil black rifles left and right, and wanting to know more about what they'd bought. Now that a semblance of normalcy has returned, the discussions have settled down - and a lot of those evil black rifles are now showing up in the WTS forum ;)

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are all the SKSs? Remember when there were at least one on every table at the gun show? Last show had 2 total. Where are all these? Under beds and in safes? Whats this generations SKS? The naggant is close but still not in numbers like the sks was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom