7.62 x 39mm dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People may not be talking about them much but they're still around. People must just be holding onto theirs rather than selling. It seems like half the gun owners I know have an SKS in their collection, myself included.

As long as there is strife and civil unrest on the planet, the 7.62x39 round will be alive and well.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everybody's still got their AKs etc. They're just not selling them.

Folks don't accessorize them as much as ARs, so there's not much to talk about. All the AK "needs" is a simple optic mount & an Aimpoint T-1. Boom, you're done. Great fighting rifle. (An SKS you can accessorize like crazy with Tapco stuff, but I don't see the point. Leave it stock.)

7.62x39 is a good close- to mid-range rifle gunfighting cartridge. Not as surgical accuracy as 5.56/.223 but good penetration and stopping power. We're just starting to see some high-octane modernized fighting bullets such as the Cor-Bon DPX in 7.62x39 -- that's a hellacious round (and $$$).

The Robinson Arms XCR in 7.62x39 is an impressive concept. I wish magazine availability was clearer.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my AK I think I enjoy shooting more than my AR. Ive noticed the lack of AK and SKSs at gun shows as well. I remember when I was younger my dad bought a SKS wrapped in paper and grease for like 75 bucks. He still has a wooden crate of 7.62 in sardine cans that has $60 dollars wrote on it. Those were the good days

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sure hope it's not a dead caliber, I just started shooting it!:( I don't want to have nightmares of reloading rusty steel casings with a brick while sitting in the street.

As far as AK discussions go, now that I have several and detail stripped all of them, they're all about the same. I guess you've got the stamped vs. milled argument, bolt diameter argument, and barrel weight/chrome lining argument. That's really all there is to them!

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought my first sks yesterday, got a good deal on it from reddog1 on here. Im going to my uncles farm this weekend and may bring the gun along. What is the best place to get 7.62x39mm ammo? Any particular brand I should go for? Im with bitterdaze I just got into it and havent even shot it yet I sure hope its not dead!

Latest posts

Top Bottom