7.62 x 39mm dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought an romanian ak. took the wood off and put an 6 position stock and quad rail and vertical grip on it. I thought bout selling it to help pay for an ar, but i just couldnt do it. i decided to jus keep it an save sme money for an ar. yea the ak is far from dead i still love shooting it and very dependable

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As far as a battle cartridge if you have a rifle chambered in this you better have a lot of it put back. No major power I know of uses this cartridge. All the big boys have gone to the smaller cartridges. Its a lot easier to find 5.56 than x39.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it comes to fighting there is ZERO wrong with the 7.62 Russian.

The problem I see with it is that I believe in the near future imported ammo will be banned or so heavily taxed that it will be all but unavailable.

Domestic 7.62 x 39 is more expensive than domestic 5.56.

Should severe ammo shortages ever come to pass, I prefer to own guns chambered in calibers that the police and military use as there is more likely to be a supply of it available.

Michael Brown

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When it comes to fighting there is ZERO wrong with the 7.62 Russian.

The problem I see with it is that I believe in the near future imported ammo will be banned or so heavily taxed that it will be all but unavailable.

Domestic 7.62 x 39 is more expensive than domestic 5.56.

Should severe ammo shortages ever come to pass, I prefer to own guns chambered in calibers that the police and military use as there is more likely to be a supply of it available.

Michael Brown

If this comes to pass,domestic ammo manufacturers will step up.There are huge numbers of these guns,along with SKS's,in this country and millions worldwide.Domestically,ammo manufacturers will step up and provide affordable ammo.In the last few years there have been several manufacturers starting to produce 7.62x39.No one has really ramped up due to the availability of cheap imported ammo.The AK/SKS pie is WAAAAY too big for them to ignore if the foreign ammo ever dries up. Steve

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this comes to pass,domestic ammo manufacturers will step up.There are huge numbers of these guns,along with SKS's,in this country and millions worldwide.Domestically,ammo manufacturers will step up and provide affordable ammo.In the last few years there have been several manufacturers starting to produce 7.62x39.No one has really ramped up due to the availability of cheap imported ammo.The AK/SKS pie is WAAAAY too big for them to ignore if the foreign ammo ever dries up. Steve

I think in a stable situation this will certainly be the case.

However potential instability will affect any company's ability to ramp up production especially given that instability is usually accompanied by the military buying everything in sight, hence my belief that buying in calibers used by U.S. military and police is wise decision.

Just a thought.

Michael Brown

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think in a stable situation this will certainly be the case.

However potential instability will affect any company's ability to ramp up production especially given that instability is usually accompanied by the military buying everything in sight, hence my belief that buying in calibers used by U.S. military and police is wise decision.

Just a thought.

Michael Brown

Best deal is to have both.:) Don't you think that in a time of instability that 5.56 would be hard to get also?? The police and military will get first priority on manufactured ammo as well as components. Steve

Latest posts

Top Bottom