90 F150 problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man you weren't messing around. I gotta research 10 hours to do a one hour job. But I hate making mistakes. Also why I don't let other people work on my stuff. I know I'm more careful and get the details right. The work I have seen from shops lately, even the dealer is just atrocious.
That was my 1 ton ford dually. I knew diesels inside and out back then. We'll ford diesels at least. Getting more power of of one was my passion...that's how I melted pistons, excessive heat temps in the cylinders. I was an expensive hobby for sure. That new long block with some other accessories was $10k.
Thought I'd be divorced over that alone when I told the wife... lol I had an 08 f-250 weighing in at 9900 lbs and on 35s with a 4" lift that ran a high 10 second 1/4 mile. I had the cab off of it 2 times also lol. That truck was scary fast. I'd eat any corvette in an eighth mile.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my 1 ton ford dually. I knew diesels inside and out back then. We'll ford diesels at least. Getting more power of of one was my passion...that's how I melted pistons, excessive heat temps in the cylinders. I was an expensive hobby for sure. That new long block with some other accessories was $10k.
Thought I'd be divorced over that alone when I told the wife... lol I had an 08 f-250 weighing in at 9900 lbs and on 35s with a 4" lift that ran a high 10 second 1/4 mile. I had the cab off of it 2 times also lol. That truck was scary fast. I'd eat any corvette in an eighth mile.
That is insane. 10.99? How far into 10s? I've ridden motorcycles for many years and I couldn't get on one and make a 10 second pass without a year of practice. Safely at least. Why did you choose the hardest way to go fast?? That's no joke. 20 years ago it wasn't common for anyone to cover a 1/4 that fast without extremely deep pockets or savant technical skills.

@swampratt
Wonder what his best build could run assuming he's not building a car only for the 1/4.

I will say it used to be the difference between a 10.99 and a 10 flat was like 20k and a lot of skills.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is insane. 10.99? How far into 10s? I've ridden motorcycles for many years and I couldn't get on one and make a 10 second pass without a year of practice. Safely at least. Why did you choose the hardest way to go fast?? That's no joke. 20 years ago it wasn't common for anyone to cover a 1/4 that fast without extremely deep pockets or savant technical skills.
10.8s and this was in about 2010. Diesels were popular then for getting more power and speed out of for fun. I'd, tape a Benjamin to the dash in front of my passenger and tell em it was there's if they could reach it in an 1/8 mile or they owed me a Benjamin.
I made alot of beer money that way lol. Launch in 4 wheel drive and powerbrake to boost the turbo to 30...never lost that bet. 550 hp and 1180 lbs of thrust.
Good times.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10.8s and this was in about 2010. Diesels were popular then for getting more power and speed out of for fun. I'd, tape a Benjamin to the dash in front of my passenger and tell em it was there's if they could reach it in an 1/8 mile or they owed me a Benjamin.
I made alot of beer money that way lol. Launch in 4 wheel drive and powerbrake to boost the turbo to 30...never lost that bet. 550 hp and 1180 lbs of thrust.
Good times.
That is so cool. Bet it was a blast. That is freaky fast but I guess that diesel torque is something different. Hope to one day have those mechanical skills. But I gotta watch YouTube for four hours to understand timing and boost. I would be so happy with any vehicle I could fix completely that could run a 12 second 1/4.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is so cool. Bet it was a blast. That is freaky fast but I guess that diesel torque is something different. Hope to one day have those mechanical skills. But I gotta watch YouTube for four hours to understand timing and boost. I would be so happy with any vehicle I could fix completely that could run a 12 second 1/4.
Lol, I watched a 45 min youtube on how to rebuild a Garret turbo. They wanted like $1800 for a new one, said you can't buy a rebuilt. BS I rebuilt it for $55 and alot of extremely careful handling. Them wheels spin at 60,000 rpms with full boost and they shatter easy also.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's white,96, regular cab, long bed, 4x4, 302 auto. 161k miles. 4r70w transmission that was rebuilt about 15k miles ago. New battery. Fresh oil. New back glass. 4r70w is Known for being a good transmission. Power windows work great. Fresh tag and clean title. Next I'm doing door handle and window sweeps and all fluids. With a little more tlc on little things wouldn't be surprised if it goes the distance. It's a lot cleaner now but this is when I got it. It's in decent shape all and all. If you're really interested send me a pm and we can talk about it. I'll make you a better deal than you'll get from anyone else. I would sell my 90 also if a buyer fell in my lap but I probably won't ever list it.View attachment 522258
Cool truck. I definitely would like a 4wd if I can get one. I just don't think my big self can fit behind the steering wheel on a regular cab.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, I watched a 45 min youtube on how to rebuild a Garret turbo. They wanted like $1800 for a new one, said you can't buy a rebuilt. BS I rebuilt it for $55 and alot of extremely careful handling. Them wheels spin at 60,000 rpms with full boost and they shatter easy also.
Yeah you either have to have skills or deep pockets to go that fast with anything. No one is gonna argue with that statement.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah you either have to have skills or deep pockets to go that fast with anything. No one is gonna argue with that statement.
Absolutely and "we" had deep pockets but I didn't want to tell my wife I had to spend another $1800 after buying a new longblock diesel engine lol.
We were on a mission to get debt free and my hobby was interfering somewhat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom