9mm ar15?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progun40

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the route i would like to go myself but was curious as to the reliability of the Spikes mag blocks. And how well those lowers work with say a RRA 7" 9mm upper. Also was wondering about the buffer spacers they sell.

Thanks for the input Gillman

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No input on the Spikes block. I always use dedicated ones because they tend to be more reliable. No need for spacers if you use the proper buffer.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most if not all of the 9mm AR-15's that I've seen personally (including mine) utilize Hahn mag blocks of one sort or another. I opted to go with the mag block that loads into the top of the lower reciever and is retained by the mag release. This setup allows me to change uppers and calibers without tools and VERY quickly. Until last week I was running 9mm, .223, and .22lr short uppers on the same SBR lower. I think that part of the good luck I've had with my 9mm rifle is due to the TROS barrel that Josh-L built it around, he would be able to comment on that better than me. I don't have much firsthand experience with the Spike's stuff in 9mm but I've seen Spike's stuff run very well... I would not go with a dedicated 9mm only lower for the reasons that Gillman noted. I also run a regular spring with a 9mm buffer, although my rifle ran fine with both the H and H2 buffers. The 9mm buffer makes shooting the 9mm smoother and just so happens to run flawlessly with my 10.5" .223 upper as well, I just built a second SBR lower with the same setup.

steve831

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The spikes 9mm buffer and spacer allow it to run faster in between shots. I had absolutely no problems running with the regular H buffer before switching over to spikes. I honestly wanted to increase the cycling rate of the full auto to play around. It worked, it fires much faster now. The only problem is the bolt hold open hasn't worked while shooting, but works when pulling back the charging handle. When I get time, I'll play with it and get it fixed.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a 9mm ar15? Maybe an sbr? I'm thinking about selling one of my shotguns to fund a 9mm ar15 build or a 5.56 with a .22 conversion. I use to have a DPMS ar15 and while I could barely afford to shoot it I did like it, and I think it's time for another.

I have a 9mm AR. Not a sbr. I love it. It and the uzi are two of my go to guns when I'm heading out to the range.

Mine isn't as sexy looking as some. 16 inch barrel, no suppressor (yet).

here is "kinda" what it looks like with a 100 round beta mag attached.

View My Video

Dave

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll share my experience building a 9mm AR. Pretty much goes against what the other guys have had success with.
Spikes Lower
RRA Upper w/ Ramped bolt and Spikes weighted buffer
RRA 16" barrel

I started with a Hahn bottom loader and must of got a bad one cause some mags got stuck and would yank the whole block out.
I fought with it for a while and finally switched to a RRA block, stopped using the teflon C-Products mags (I hate C-Products BTW) and went with the Spikes Mags (Metalform rebranded). They cost twice as much but I think they are worth it.
With the changes, I haven't had any issues. I'm gonna shoot it in this weekends practical rifle match so I hope I don't jinx myself!
My take is they can be finicky, but they are loads of fun to shoot and CHEAP 9mm!

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Colt factory 9mm's. The price seems right and it can always have a rail attached to it at a later date and SBR'd

Any comments on doing that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom