9mm ar15?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrain08

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you have a pistol lower you do not want a short barrel upper in your posession until you have your stamp. The BATFE calls that constructive intent to make a SBR without having the approved tax stamp.

So as long as I don't have a short barrel they couldn't say I was building an SBR. I'll just make sure I send in my tax stamp papers before I buy a barrel.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you start with a stripped lower and it was marked as OTHER on the 4473 then you could built it into a pistol. Then when your stamp comes in you could buy a stock and buffer tube and sell the pistol buffer tube and recover most of the costs on it.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just tell your dealer to make sure he marks it on the 4473 paperwork when you buy your lower. I will go against the grain though and I don't think it's worth it going the pistol route. Just SBR your lower up front and get it over with.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just tell your dealer to make sure he marks it on the 4473 paperwork when you buy your lower. I will go against the grain though and I don't think it's worth it going the pistol route. Just SBR your lower up front and get it over with.

^^^^^^This...^^^^^^

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok not to hijack thread but couple newbi questions here. I have been planning on building sbr ar 9mm after taxes. I was going to get a cmmg lower because I don't want mag block (i have plenty other lowers, don't need another 556). Do I have to register it as a sbr at time of purchase or can I do it later when I'm closer to building it.
thanks
daddy-o

atrain08

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not a hijack since it's relative information. From my little bit of research the last couple days, the lower has nothing to do with it being an SBR or not, until you have a short barrel on it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I would only go pistol so I could play with it and buy the parts while I waited on the stamp. Any other circumstances and I agree, not worth it.

Ok not to hijack thread but couple newbi questions here. I have been planning on building sbr ar 9mm after taxes. I was going to get a cmmg lower because I don't want mag block (i have plenty other lowers, don't need another 556). Do I have to register it as a sbr at time of purchase or can I do it later when I'm closer to building it.
thanks
daddy-o

No, you don't have to file the form 1 at the time of purchase. You can do that at any time. You'll probably want to submit it about 6 months before you're ready to build it though because transfers are taking forever right now for a few of the examiners.

progun40

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Give me some input on the Spikes 9mm lowers. How well do the spikes mag blocks work? Are they reliable? What buffer are you using, the 9mm buffer or the spikes buffer spacer? If so how well does the spacer work?

what manufacture are you guys using for your uppers?

Sorry about all the ?'s and thanks for the info guys.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going with a regular 556 lower with a block rather than a 9mm lower because I can always get a 556 shorty upper and play with it also. If you do a 9mm dedicated, you are limited to that caliber. Just think of all the uppers you could do a SBR with! How about a 458 SOCOM out of a 10" barrel!! (not real sure that it would have enough time to burn off the powder out of the cartridge in that small of a barrel)

:fullauto:

I have heard from several people that a Hahn block is the way to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom