A car tire, on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i finally started a count with my bikes...

turns out i'm only on numbers 9, 10, and 11 right now. :( thought for sure i had owned more than that.

Never owned a suzuki either... although theres one in the garage (girlfriends bike). 3 yammies, 3 hondas, 2 Kawais, and 3 KTM's.

Obviously, i need another Kawai (ZX14?) to round out my pairs of threes... and then move on to... who knows.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cruisers cannot get over far enough for it to be a problem, you will be draggin your floorboards long before you run out of traction.

:screwy:

Let me ride one with a car tire on it and I bet I can drop it over far enough to fail. Not saying that to be a smart ass, I'm serious. I can take a bike over further then just dragging floorboards and still have control. If you put a car tire on a motorcycle you're just asking for trouble.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:screwy:

Let me ride one with a car tire on it and I bet I can drop it over far enough to fail. Not saying that to be a smart ass, I'm serious. I can take a bike over further then just dragging floorboards and still have control. If you put a car tire on a motorcycle you're just asking for trouble.

PA...

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! I really wasn't trying to be. I just wanted to point out that some people can lay "cruisers" over pretty far and I just don't see how this car tire conversion could possibly be safe. You can preach that lots of other people have done it and that's fine but what happens when you have to do an avoidance move and drop it over hard? I'd rather buy tires more often then sacrifice handling even if they would only be in those 1% occasions.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here we go again......:rolleyes:

I'll tell you what, you guys do the best you can and find me just one case of someone who crashed BECAUSE he/she had a car tire on the rear. Just one case is all I ask and it HAS to be BECAUSE of the car tire. Not a guy hit a deer and he had a car tire on the back.

I took a picture, just for the heck of it, of my old stone and my new Dunlop.

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2442_3699407086_85389d747a.png

I don't know about you, but the Dunlop looks like it has a lot more tread, and 'looks' like it sure would stick a lot better. As for the car tire being "Square", well, not as much as what you might think. The stone when it was new did not look much different than the old one either, just had deeper tread. I have a couple hundred miles so far and I love the ride. Time will tell.

And again, Josh, you have to site extremes and I can tell you this, in most avoidance accidents, it is not tire failure as much as it is rider lack of experience that weighs in. There are plenty of situations out there also that the motorcycle tire failed as well. I think your 1% figure is very very high. I would say less than .001%
Let me ride one with a car tire on it and I bet I can drop it over far enough to fail.
That is ridiculous, you lay any bike over far enough and I don't care what kind of tire it has on it, it IS going to fail. And what is the point in laying a bike over that far anyhow. Collision avoidance? If I laid my bike over that far, BOTH wheels are going to come off the ground from the crash bar, front and rear, and floorboards ramming into the ground. But thanks for your .02 cents.

I can understand if you guys actually rode a bike with a car tire on it, and didn't like it, but come on. It would be like me saying that a certain gun fired like crap, and not even holding it in my hand. If I asked what the best Glock on the market was, I would expect to get feedback from guys who actually had one, and not from those who didn't. In that area, anyone who commented without actually owning, or firing one, well, there feedback would not only be useless, but a waste of time.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey flatwins, do you actually have an old boxer?? Those where awesome bikes. I like there old enduro bikes, BMW kind of invented the enduro. There was an episode of Twist The Throttle on a few weeks ago about the BMW and its history. Good show, very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom