A car tire, on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good choice. Goldwing was my 42nd bike and I loved it. Plenty of room. Excellent handling, very comfortable ride plus all the luxuries of a car, cruise control, abs, cb, AM, FM Cd changer, the new ones have XM and Nav units on them. A great bike for the money. I even pulled a trailer with mine and it pulled great. Would probably still have mine but I sold it to make room for my baby girl...that was 20 years ago. You may look into the new Kawasaki Voyager. That is one sweet bike.

My 83 Aspencade was about the 12th or 13th bike I owned. Found a 89 1500 that may work out as a straight trade. I really want to keep the go fast bike though. Might blow it off for a few more years. My problem is I like traveling by bike, but I like to rail to, and sport tourers just don't fit that bill properly for me.

jaketinaboxer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
holy crap, this much of a debate over a rear tire? i wouldn't sugest putting one on the front of any bike, but for a rear i dont' see a problem with it. There are plenty of large sportbikes with 300 wide tires and those are as flat as a board. I ride a sportbike, so i have different needs from my tires. But if i was planning on giong cross country i would plop a diferent tire on there.

dhomoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they don't do the twisties, those guys are nuts. I'm with Olyeller, bike tires have a round profile for a reason. A big honkin cruiser maybe it ain't so bad. But a sport bike in a corner? At speed? I don't think so....

This only works on Cruisers and the like, sport and sport touring bikes do not apply. Cruisers cannot get over far enough for it to be a problem, you will be draggin your floorboards long before you run out of traction. Sport style bikes have far greater lean than cruisers do. So I wouldn't do it on an FJR, Connie, or ST, but on a Harley, Star, Vulcan, and the like it is not an issue. I have watched many a guy on a cruiser with a car tire and them are scraping the boards at high speed on road and nary a problem.

The KawaNOW guys had a rally in SD a few weeks back and some of those guys put well over 3000 miles on their car tired bikes and tore up the twisties in the Black Hills with car tires on. Sport bikes require MC tires, cruisers do not, no matter how hard you ride them.

dhomoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. If the best route for a motorcycle tire was closer to a car tire. Then the $25mill MotoGP would be running them. IMO if I am going to drag a knee, it won't be on a tire that is meant to grip laterally. Just MO..

Again sport bike vs. cruiser, different style of riding.

dhomoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weren't you just laughing at me a few posts ago and now you are saying it IS possible.....hmm.

Ok, I will play nice now. I have a standing offer for anyone out there, except Shawn.(Not till he turns 31) If you would like to ride my bike, and see for yourself, then I would be happy to let you. The only stipulation is you have an M endorsment.

Now that is a hell of an offer. I might just have to take you up on that. I would love to feel it before I do the same on my Nomad.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This only works on Cruisers and the like, sport and sport touring bikes do not apply. Cruisers cannot get over far enough for it to be a problem, you will be draggin your floorboards long before you run out of traction. Sport style bikes have far greater lean than cruisers do. So I wouldn't do it on an FJR, Connie, or ST, but on a Harley, Star, Vulcan, and the like it is not an issue. I have watched many a guy on a cruiser with a car tire and them are scraping the boards at high speed on road and nary a problem.

The KawaNOW guys had a rally in SD a few weeks back and some of those guys put well over 3000 miles on their car tired bikes and tore up the twisties in the Black Hills with car tires on. Sport bikes require MC tires, cruisers do not, no matter how hard you ride them.

That's exactly the point I was making, so I'm right there with you. Yukon was talking about some sport/touring guys running them, and he did allude to at least some handling issues.

I know how I would ride Yukon's bike if it were mine. :rubhands:

A car tire would get me hurt or killed. Hell, my Shadow Spirit 1100 handles pretty good for a cruiser, at least good enough that I still wouldn't go CT on the rear, I'll keep the Metzler there. But as for the O/P's larger cruiser, I don't see anything wrong with it.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that is a hell of an offer. I might just have to take you up on that. I would love to feel it before I do the same on my Nomad.
Bring it on dude, it was a valid offer and you are welcome to give her a try. Hey, I just realized who you are....(KawaNOW) whats up dude.....duh!!! Like I said, any time you want to give it a try, you are more than welcome. Would be kind of cool to see two of the same bikes, same collor and all, side by side. Hell, we even gave them the same name, how cool is that.

dhomoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever notice that when someone gets killed while riding a motorcycle or skydiving or skiing, or other activity that is perceived as a high risk activity all the loved ones go on and on about how dangerous it is and vow never to that themselves. But, when someone gets killed in a automobile wreck they all get in their cars and drive to the funeral?

No ****. Ironic isn't it.

dhomoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bring it on dude, it was a valid offer and you are welcome to give her a try. Hey, I just realized who you are....(KawaNOW) whats up dude.....duh!!! Like I said, any time you want to give it a try, you are more than welcome. Would be kind of cool to see two of the same bikes, same collor and all, side by side. Hell, we even gave them the same name, how cool is that.

That just may have to happen. I would love to feel the handling difference. Will probably have to wait till after my ride to Ohio and back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom