A car tire, on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it is possible, and rides like a dream. I just yanked my Bridgestone off the back of my bike after only 9000 miles, heavily cupped and wasted. As with many bike tires, they hardly ever last more than 10,000 miles, and at $200 a pop, it really sucks. I have spent the past month doing extensive research on the feasibility of putting a car tire on a motorcycle and was very surprised to find how many people are doing it. There are websites devoted to "Darksiding" wit a plethora of information on tire sizes and applications. I decided to go with a Dunlop SP 5000 sport tire 195/60 16. As with many Nomad drivers before me, the SP 5000 is the tire of choice and has been tried and tested by many riders. I have personally spoken to about 15 people who have the same year make and model bike as mine and have had no problems at all. I have also read reviews of hundreds of riders on other touring bikes that have done it and made the decision to do it myself. Mechanically, the tire is designed for a much heavier vehicle, so it can handle the load. It is rated for 65,000 miles, so if I get 25,000 miles out of it, I will be more than happy. I rode it today and it rides like a dream. The one question you may ask is how it corners, does it fight to roll up on the edges? The answer is it corners like any other tire, and it does not roll up on the edge. As you can see in the picture, the tire conforms to the road. Like I said, it rides like a dream. Time and mileage will tell how well this tire really is.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3593_3682951344_fee125861e.png

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2559_3682951652_39ca4739ea.jpg

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The idea is catching on.
I know of 2 people locally that are doing it. They both say that handling is slightly different; but not unsafe.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I know several guys riding 1800 VTXs that are running car tires and swear by them. If you know what you are getting into then go for it. I grind the floor boards on my Roadking enough that I'll stick with the MC tires, I believe they give a better cornering feel.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run Dunlop SP 5000's on my WRX and they are an excellent tire. I have 44K on mine and they've held up to some heavy duty driving.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grinding floorboards in a parking lot really doesn't show anything.
According to the reports I've read, it's higher speed cornering that suffers.
That may be important to someone, or it may not.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whouda thunk it? Back in the good old days when many bikes were equipped with sidecars, they ran more of a square edge tire. I've heard talk from the BMW old timers who have pulled a sidecar off a bike for various mechanical work and taken the bike out for a test ride with the sidecar tires on it. Most said "never again!" But I think a square edge tire on the front is where you would really feel it. I suspect that with one on the back it wouldn't be that radical of a change.

Pretty cool tho! I'd like to hear the progress of it.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hate to be the guy that has one of these break free on a turn and low-side off a cliff.
I like corners and I think theres a reason dunlops makes both car tires and bike tires.

I also used to wear out moto tires a lot, so I like the idea of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom