A car tire, on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well... i've never met anyone thats tried it personally, but i've seen several CRUISERS (like ID has) posted on killboy.com carving the Tail of the Dragon and they're leaned over pretty good...

Never thought they would stick but according to killboy all his conversations with the bikes owners the info they give is that they handle great on their heavy cruisers.

Wouldn't recommend sticking one on a sportbike, but i'll be ID wouldn't either. Not enough weight to generate a good contact patch on a car tire i wouldn't think...

As far as sticky rubber... i've got DOT street tires on my car that are as sticky as most peoples bike tires, and MUCH MORE grippy than your average sport touring tire - like something YG might run on his FJR. The tires on my car are Falken Azenis, and sill stick a corner better than my ZX10 OR my supermoto with RACE SLICKS will.

Now, all you tire experts... tell me you already let this run through your head...:

With a square profile tire in the rear, as you roll into a corner and go up on the edge of the tire, do you realize its just like having a very high profile rounded motorcycle tire?!?!?!? Think about it... The center of the tire is up off the ground - now imagine if there was an arc there (like a MC tire) and think about how tall of a profile that would be... probably about a 75 profile.

Sure, the rubber isn't there in the center, BUT, its on the edge, just like a MC tire.

Now, let this go through your head for a second...

theres only about a 1/2" - to 1" wide contact patch on a MC tire at any given time. Not very much holding your ass to the ground... but not really any more than a car tire might have at the same angle!

while i can see turn-in being somewhat affected, i can't imagine it being all that different once turned into the corner, especially on a heavier bike.

I WOULD LOVE TO TRY IT sometime on a cruiser... just to get the experience.

as far as my record... well, its pretty short. i've only owned maybe a little over a dozen bikes, a dozen different tire brands, and maybe only logged about 150k miles in my 10 years of riding....

I'm no expert, and i'm always open to at least listen to others ideas and suggetions.

also, whats good for one bike and style of riding may not be good for another.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't cupping be related to other issues with the suspension? Your car tires might just be too hard to let the cupping occur and you're just masking a different problem.

Back when I had my Yamaha Seca 650, my two Katana 600s and my GSXR 750, my mechanic always told me that cupping is normal on tires if you ride agressively due to the way the tires flex on heavy accelleration and braking?

Like I said... I hope you are right that the car tire will be ok. Number one rule is keeping the sticky side down and you've just limited your sticky contact points.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
N9,the problem with a flat profile(or nearly) is the bike "falls" into the corner when you roll over the edge plus it takes a lot more muscle to pick it back up on the exit.Remember cars don't lean in the corners. Steve

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oooo, 2 mods on my tail. So you are saying that what I said is a lie. That I did NOT go 187 on a V-Max just because you have owned 2 of them. And you have done EVERYTHING to try and get that much speed. Whatever you say Steve. I bow down to you and Glockers outstanding expert and so overwhelming knowledge about everything. The reason you couldn't let it slide is YOUR ego my friend, there is no other reason for what you had to say. Just like everyone else, you have to be right, and you will say whatever you need to to prove your point. I started this topic once again to share with people a positive experience that I have had, and you people jump right in and do your best to ruin it. You jump on your high horse and think that you have all the answers, that what you know is best. It couldn't be something like, "looks good, let us know how it works out", no, you have to jab here and jab there and pretend you know what you are talking about.

Before you all get your panties in a wad, I don't take it personal, I am not getting angry, defensive, high and mighty, or any other word or words you can use to describe it. It is funny that when you rip someone else siting your vast experience that it is not considered "high and mighty" but when someone else does exactly the same thing, you claim foul. And yes, it was 187 mph. Lets see you prove me wrong. You took very very little information and decided right away that you were right and I could not possibly be correct in what I stated. That my friend is plain and simple blind arrogance. You have no idea anything about me, my riding ability, the modifications to the bike, trani, anything. I was on it, you were not. The bike was very heavily modified and yes, I was doing everything I could to hold on. But I don't have to prove myself to you or anyone. You are still just doing your best to argue that my car tire on my bike is wrong. Good luck, no matter how hard you try, you won't change my mind about the decision I made. Check with me in 20,000 miles, or when you put one on your bike.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oooo, 2 mods on my tail. So you are saying that what I said is a lie. That I did NOT go 187 on a V-Max just because you have owned 2 of them. And you have done EVERYTHING to try and get that much speed. Whatever you say Steve. I bow down to you and Glockers outstanding expert and so overwhelming knowledge about everything. The reason you couldn't let it slide is YOUR ego my friend, there is no other reason for what you had to say. Just like everyone else, you have to be right, and you will say whatever you need to to prove your point. I started this topic once again to share with people a positive experience that I have had, and you people jump right in and do your best to ruin it. You jump on your high horse and think that you have all the answers, that what you know is best. It couldn't be something like, "looks good, let us know how it works out", no, you have to jab here and jab there and pretend you know what you are talking about.

Before you all get your panties in a wad, I don't take it personal, I am not getting angry, defensive, high and mighty, or any other word or words you can use to describe it. It is funny that when you rip someone else siting your vast experience that it is not considered "high and mighty" but when someone else does exactly the same thing, you claim foul. And yes, it was 187 mph. Lets see you prove me wrong. You took very very little information and decided right away that you were right and I could not possibly be correct in what I stated. That my friend is plain and simple blind arrogance. You have no idea anything about me, my riding ability, the modifications to the bike, trani, anything. I was on it, you were not. The bike was very heavily modified and yes, I was doing everything I could to hold on. But I don't have to prove myself to you or anyone. You are still just doing your best to argue that my car tire on my bike is wrong. Good luck, no matter how hard you try, you won't change my mind about the decision I made. Check with me in 20,000 miles, or when you put one on your bike.

Just remember,you started it smart guy.One more time,187 on a V-Max..:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: Steve

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
N9, you are correct, I would not put one on a sport bike either. Like I stated before, my bike is a heavy cruiser. One thing I found pretty interesting, and if you look at the picture I posted, there is a lot more tire in contact with the ground than you might think. For some reason people think that car tires are square, but that just isn't so. Now a 1904 model T maybe really square (I don't know for sure so don't start about what model T had them or not). The SP5000 is quite round on the sides. And I don't understand this concept of 'falling' into a corner. I don't get that sensation at all. It is very smooth through all it angles. Very smooth. Yes Steve, cars don't lean, but I really don't understand your statement about having to muscle it back up out of a corner. Like I said, it rides just fine. It does feel a bit greasy, but that is because it is new. I have had the same greasy feeling with every new tire I have ever put on a bike and anyone who rides, knows exactly what I am talking about. I am going to take a picture of my old tire from the rear and the new tire, You would be surprised at how square my stone was and how round this Dunlop is.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember,you started it smart guy.One more time,187 on a V-Max..:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: Steve

Laugh all you want smart guy, you are not as smart as you think. In 1984, the Yamaha V-Max set the world record and recorded a speed of 242mph. It is a proven fact, do a Google search. Now who is laughing

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...You seem to have a problem with me and actually I could care less...
You're wrong. I have no problem with you. In fact, maybe you've misinterpreted my posts, but I agree with you that a CT will work good. It's just not "as good" as a MT in all situations. Obviously for you, the benefits will outweigh any potential cost for running a CT. And I've not stated otherwise. I'm one of the few here that has actually agreed with you.

The only problem I see is your attitude towards the ones who disagree. Instead of being sarcastic and demeaning, you should either ignore them or provide evidence to show that they are wrong.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Laugh all you want smart guy, you are not as smart as you think. In 1984, the Yamaha V-Max set the world record and recorded a speed of 242mph. It is a proven fact, do a Google search. Now who is laughing

Um... I really don't want to get in this arguement but thought I'd point out that the VMax that set the 242 speed record was a Continental tire... not a murdercycle.

http://www.autoblog.com/tag/vmax/

Continental has entered the Guinness Book of World Records with a top speed of 242 mph (388 km/h). We're definitely not talking about the behemoth Bentley, as powerful as it is. The record now officially belongs to Continental Tires for its ContiSportContact Vmax, which has been officially certified by those stout-chugging judges as the world's fastest production road tire.

It just happens to be on the same page as an article about the release of the VMax in 1984.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if I were wrong, I'd want someone to tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom