A ??? for the cocked & locked aficionados...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1911 mag is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welp...*sigh*...looks as if I'll be a 1911 owner purdy soon. :drunk5:

Fixin' to make a trade with one of our members here for one of these...

awww.japanese_steakhouse_white_sauce.com_guns_sw1911pd_1.jpg

It ain't the Smith & Wesson "Gunsite" I was wanting, but it's basically the same gun. Only difference is the FLGR, the sights, trigger and the raven. Other than that - same pistol.

Here's my ??? for the guys in the know. :naughty:

Which mag is best for carry?

I've narrowed my choice down to two major contenders.

The 8 round "Power Mag" by Chip McCormick...

awww.brownells.com_userdocs_products_l_207145228_1.jpg

And the ever famous and reverred 8 round 47D by Wilson Combat...

awww.brownells.com_userdocs_skus_p_965047470_1.jpg

Is one any better than the other? Is there another brand out there that outshines these two?

You're comments and suggestions are welcomed please. The last time I owned a 1911, I used CMC "Shooting Star" mags. I'm sure these are still good magazines, but I figure the Power Mag or the Wilson 47D is probably a touch better.

Easier to clean, anyways. :rolleyes2

Anyway...sound off! :D

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in my experience, neither will keep spring tension more than a few months when kept loaded. i use metalform 7 round skirted follower flush-fit mags in my carry gun, (or Ed Brown, same thing) and Tripp Research cobra mags for 8-rounders.

nothing else stacks up, although most 7 -rounders are "ok," and i don't like trying to change mag springs frequently just to get reliable function.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to check out the Wilson ETM magazines.

What's so special about them? :anyone:

in my experience, neither will keep spring tension more than a few months when kept loaded. i use metalform 7 round skirted follower flush-fit mags in my carry gun, (or Ed Brown, same thing) and Tripp Research cobra mags for 8-rounders.

nothing else stacks up, although most 7 -rounders are "ok," and i don't like trying to change mag springs frequently just to get reliable function.

A few months? :ooh2: Are you SERIOUS?! :shocked:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I carried a 1911, it was shooting stars or power mags. I guess I just prefer the Chippers to the Willies.

neither will keep spring tension more than a few months when kept loaded

I cant say I buy this. I still use the same mags I carried when I go to the range. I havent noticed a change in spring tension (well, maybe a little but not enough that it alters operation or I would consider unreliable.) These mags were carried loaded for the better part of 5 years. Now I will say, I did rotate which mags I used (unloaded when not carried, loaded when) anytime I went to the range (weekly, sometimes twice weekly). So maybe that played a difference in it.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good choice, that is a good shooter.
I have both the Wilson and the McCormick and cannot tell the difference between the two when shooting. I would get one of each to compare. Thats what I did and really the only advantage I see that one has over the other is my McCormick mags have the wider base which makes it easier to grip and less likely to slip through your hand but I see the one in your pic has the standard just like the Wilson. In my 1911's one feeds just as well as the other.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm dead serious. 1 year, tops. The best replacement springs fare little better, because there really isn't room in the tube for a robust spring and 8 rounds. That's why tripp made their 8-round tube longer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a CM Shooting Star mag with my TRP and it's a p.o.s. It tries to puke it's follower all the time. Upon disassembly I can see nothing obviously wrong with it. I use 47Ds now and have had no issues. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom