A Good Shop that Rebuilds Ford Small Blocks ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmith441

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A late model motor is a good idea, but you'll need a different balancer.

I have the original motor with the 28oz harmonc balancer on it. The newer 5.0s have the 50oz harmonic balancer.

Im sure the 289 has a different weight balancer....

I have a unbored (4.00") 302 block, crank , and pistons/ rods out an 1971 early bronco in my garage I was looking at rebuilding, maybe.

I am looking for honest people that do good work.

That is the reason for asking the original question.

csmith441

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's wrong with the engine?

I change the heads after finding a broken rock studs. I put a set of 1975 heads with hardened seats on top of it. Now it smokes a lot more and there is a lot of ticking coming from it.

I think the cam may be worn and the clearances from the rods are slapping the rockers. Also I rebuilt the carb last week and now im trying to get it started.

I bought this bronco several months ago and have been trying to get it running right.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to type this on a phone so it'd be easier to text or call. What rods are you referring to? Pushrods? I'd find some e7s put them on and if it's making noise put a new cam in. It could be smoking because of bad valve guides or seals. And it might be clattering cause you didn't set the clearances right or the rockers are wrong.

csmith441

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What rods are you referring to? Pushrods? I'd find some e7s put them on and if it's making noise put a new cam in. It could be smoking because of bad valve guides or seals. And it might be clattering cause you didn't set the clearances right or the rockers are wrong.

Pushrods.. sorry.

Valve Seals and valve guides is what I thought was wrong at first. Then I fold the 2 broken rocker studs. I replaced the heads with a 1975 set and replaced the seals and guides, also well as new springs and machine work.

I had a shop locally do it for me. The heads have press in rocker studs and have one length push rods.

I should have rebuilt the entire thing when I had the heads off. I don't know what is in the motor.

I'm chasing my tail.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
302 graph.jpg302 table.jpg

Here are the dyno graphs for the exact combination of components on this engine as run through Comp Cam's Desktop Dyno software, which has been very accurate for my builds that we put on an engine dyno, which I have done several times. It is 9:1, has a .471" lift, 276 (218 @.050") camshaft, running through a set of Ford 1970 cylinder heads with 1.74 intake, 1.45 exhaust valves, small tube headers and mufflers. If you don't think that combo is good for 300 hp, you don't know anything about engines.

The stock hi-po 289 made 271 hp in '66, this engine has a better intake, better cam, better exhaust and 13 more cubic inches. Please don't talk about about an engine or builder you know nothing about.

csmith441

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know how that is. How much did they charge you? IMO get a late model 5.0. How mechanically apt are you? If the shortblock is good no reason not to use it.

I may get an late model 5.0 motor and do the conversion. I don't know....

I'm above average, I hope. I can build most things. I have never built a SBF V8 before. I have only worked on and built Cj7's and old Wranglers.

The short bolck was pulled twenty years ago then covered in grease and sat in garage till a couple weeks ago. I bought the crank, piston/ rods, and block for $80.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 25009View attachment 25010

Here are the dyno graphs for the exact combination of components on this engine as run through Comp Cam's Desktop Dyno software, which has been very accurate for my builds that we put on an engine dyno, which I have done several times. It is 9:1, has a .471" lift, 276 (218 @.050") camshaft, running through a set of Ford 1970 cylinder heads with 1.74 intake, 1.45 exhaust valves, small tube headers and mufflers. If you don't think that combo is good for 300 hp, you don't know anything about engines.

The stock hi-po 289 made 271 hp in '66, this engine has a better intake, better cam, better exhaust and 13 more cubic inches. Please don't talk about about an engine or builder you know nothing about.

Seriously? Desktop dyno? Yea in 66 they had different power ratings that have been derated a couple times since then. Put it on a dyno and get real numbers. The foxes made 225 in 93 with a better h/c/I. And your getting 300? Bs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom