A question for the open carry crowd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This guy had no clue about situational awareness. He was wearing a cheap uncle mikes nylon holster with a thin belt. It was a S&W compact with NO type of retention whatsoever. Oh well....it'll make a nice prize for someone who wants to take it from him.

Maybe he is crazy like a fox... carrying the S&W in a holster with no retention and loaded with rounds having dead primers. When a BG grabs his gun, then he will pull his back-up out and blow the BG away Charles Bronson / Vigilante style. :wink2:

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've open carried exclusively since the 1st and I have yet to see a gun buster sign. Maybe it's because of where I shop, maybe it's because of where I live. If I encountered one, it would entirely depend on why I was there. In all likelihood I'd go elsewhere, but if it was critical that I shop there, I'd obey the law and remove my gun. The same as if I were to carry concealed.

I find it very interesting how people talk about situational awareness, and the lack of tactical advantage with regard to open carry. There are arguments out there pro and con for both types of carry. My belief is no more wrong than yours. After all, the cops can't be wrong, can they? I mean, they open carry.

To the OP, what do you do? Your post reflects that you go concealed, so I can only assume that you either take it off or shop elsewhere when the sign says "No weapons allowed". Is this the case?

bsilva

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't really understand the point in anyone wanting to open carry. All that is going to do is bring unwanted attention upon oneself. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of being able to carry a firearm for personal protection? I for one have no desire to be the center of attention when some bad guy decides to ruin everyone's day. I'll keep my advantage over the other guy by keeping my handgun nicely concealed under my shirt.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've open carried exclusively since the 1st and I have yet to see a gun buster sign. Maybe it's because of where I shop, maybe it's because of where I live. If I encountered one, it would entirely depend on why I was there. In all likelihood I'd go elsewhere, but if it was critical that I shop there, I'd obey the law and remove my gun. The same as if I were to carry concealed.

I find it very interesting how people talk about situational awareness, and the lack of tactical advantage with regard to open carry. There are arguments out there pro and con for both types of carry. My belief is no more wrong than yours. After all, the cops can't be wrong, can they? I mean, they open carry.

To the OP, what do you do? Your post reflects that you go concealed, so I can only assume that you either take it off or shop elsewhere when the sign says "No weapons allowed". Is this the case?

Well since Im a LEO The signs dont really apply to me. But I go concealed just because its a lot less trouble and I want it to be a total surprise should I have to defend myself or another. DT...if LEOs count as open carry I can fill a page with documented cases of officers having their guns taken from them and murdered with said gun. You can start by looking up Trooper Nicky Green and see how that went. DAVID 2012...Are you serious? Thats about the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

freeranger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Curious as to what the reaction of my fellow citizens would be, I put on the new Serpa holster, dropped my 1911 down in it and headed off to do some shopping. First stop was the Home Depot on I-40 & Rockwell. Non-issue. Nobody noticed as far as I could tell. Got the kerosene heater and headed for the register. The cashier didn't even notice. None of the other patrons in line behind me seemed to noticed. Headed out the door and then off to Wal-Mart a couple of doors down. Bought some groceries, strolled around picking up a thing here and there I needed. When I got down to the pharmacy area an elderly gentleman was sitting on the bench there. He spoke up and asked, "Is that a real gun?" I smiled, and replied, "As real as you and I." With a toothy grin, he said "Nice". Headed for the cashier and had a repeat of not being noticed while checking out. A complete non-issue for me. This being the case, I'll likely continue OC'ing as it allows me to carry my .45acp easily and with comfort instead of my smaller caliber LCP.

bsilva

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious as to what the reaction of my fellow citizens would be, I put on the new Serpa holster, dropped my 1911 down in it and headed off to do some shopping. First stop was the Home Depot on I-40 & Rockwell. Non-issue. Nobody noticed as far as I could tell. Got the kerosene heater and headed for the register. The cashier didn't even notice. None of the other patrons in line behind me seemed to noticed. Headed out the door and then off to Wal-Mart a couple of doors down. Bought some groceries, strolled around picking up a thing here and there I needed. When I got down to the pharmacy area an elderly gentleman was sitting on the bench there. He spoke up and asked, "Is that a real gun?" I smiled, and replied, "As real as you and I." With a toothy grin, he said "Nice". Headed for the cashier and had a repeat of not being noticed while checking out. A complete non-issue for me. This being the case, I'll likely continue OC'ing as it allows me to carry my .45acp easily and with comfort instead of my smaller caliber LCP.

Just curious, but what do you believe you gain from open carrying aside from being able to carry a larger gun? A larger gun could still be made "mostly" concealed (at least in a way that would make it less noticeable) by simply wearing one's shirt untucked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom