A question for the open carry crowd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This statement embodies my beef with open carry. While I think it should be legal and may be a valid option for some law abiding citizens, strapping on a pistol for the purposes of looking for the "reaction of my fellow citizens" just sits wrong with me.

I carry a firearm for self defense, nothing more. Not to teach, not to get a rise out of people, and not to conduct social engineering experiments. To each their own but this is exactly the behaviour I expected....

Which is completely within your right to do under the law. Why do you object to those of us who choose to carry differently than you do, but still within our rights under the law? Nobody is going around telling you that you should carry in a way other than what you are comfortable with.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which is completely within your right to do under the law. Why do you object to those of us who choose to carry differently than you do, but still within our rights under the law? Nobody is going around telling you that you should carry in a way other than what you are comfortable with.

I just told you why I object, but at the same time acknowledged my belief that OC should be legal...you are free to object with my objection.

But carrying to "get a reaction from fellow citizens" does not seem to mesh with your organization's motto of "Carry responsibly, carry often"

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just told you why I object, but at the same time acknowledged my belief that OC should be legal...you are free to object with my objection.

But carrying to "get a reaction from fellow citizens" does not seem to mesh with your organization's motto of "Carry responsibly, carry often"

You misquoted what he said:
Curious as to what the reaction of my fellow citizens would be, I put on the new Serpa holster, dropped my 1911 down in it and headed off to do some shopping.

There's quite a difference between someone who understandably is hesitant about open carry deciding to finally do it themselves, and gauging people's reaction, and what you describe, which is carrying for the sole purpose of causing a reaction. I'm assuming you misunderstood, but what you said is not what he said. Any of us who open carried for the first time naturally wondered how people would react.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there is some confusion about the "Gun Buster" signs. After Open Carry went into effect, several businesses, at the urging of their insurance companies, posted the simple sign of a gun with a red slash through it. Lots of these businesses did not have a sign posted previously. It seems their intent was to not allow open carry on their property, but they are too lazy to be specific.

I applaud Warren Theatre. They corrected their sign to clearly indicate no open carry of weapons. I carry concealed there without any issues.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You misquoted what he said:

There's quite a difference between someone who understandably is hesitant about open carry deciding to finally do it themselves, and gauging people's reaction, and what you describe, which is carrying for the sole purpose of causing a reaction. I'm assuming you misunderstood, but what you said is not what he said. Any of us who open carried for the first time naturally wondered how people would react.

If you think there aren't folks out there carrying specifically for that reason, then you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

That being said, I acknowledge that type of behaviour is just part of our society and human nature. People do all kinds of other stuff just to show off and get a reaction, some gun folks are the same way. I don't think OC should be illegal because of it, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist either. It just turns me off to the concept of OC...and I will comment on it as often as I choose to, which isn't often.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think there aren't folks out there carrying specifically for that reason, then you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

That being said, I acknowledge that type of behaviour is just part of our society and human nature. People do all kinds of other stuff just to show off and get a reaction, some gun folks are the same way. I don't think OC should be illegal because of it, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist either. It just turns me off to the concept of OC...and I will comment on it as often as I choose to, which isn't often.

Oh, SNAP! :lmfao: That's gotta sting ...

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not yet been any place while carrying that has a sign up that didn't have one previously.

^^^^^
THIS...

With the exception of CVS that is now posted. I had a long conversation with a corporate rep on the phone about their going posted. The one I used to use is still posted but now the sign is for all practical purposes - hidden. You've got to look really hard to find it and it is a text only sign and not the more typical gun in a circle with a slash thru it sign.

I don't use CVS anymore and my wife will not either.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, SNAP! :lmfao: That's gotta sting ...

Naah, he misquoted someone to make a point and I pointed that out, so now he's pointing to some unnamed person who he apparently has the ability to discern their reason for OCing. I'm not even sure he's actually seen anyone OCing. If you don't like OC, then don't OC. I see some benefit to OC, and I choose to OC. If someone comes on this board and asks what the reasons are for OC, I'll respond with my reasons. If someone comes on here talking about why they don't like OC, I'll suggest that they don't OC.

What I don't understand is this compulsion that people have to keep repeating the same tired old statements about OC that some very simple internet research will bear out has not happened. The fact that it hasn't happened makes it unlikely to happen. Frankly, the only reason I responded to SMS was that he misquoted another poster to make a case that didn't jive with facts in evidence. Anyone is free to have and express an opinion, just don't twist someone's words and put quotation marks around them to try to give credence to your opinion.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

I think you misunderstood his original post. It sounded to me like he was simply testing the waters before he decided if he wanted to get in or stay in.
Kinda like the first time you visit a nudist resort, your very curious if anyyone will be staring at your junk. :D

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe he is crazy like a fox... carrying the S&W in a holster with no retention and loaded with rounds having dead primers. When a BG grabs his gun, then he will pull his back-up out and blow the BG away Charles Bronson / Vigilante style. :wink2:

Yeah...that's the ticket. Let's fool some kid into screwin' around and then just kill him; right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom