A question for the open carry crowd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious, but what do you believe you gain from open carrying aside from being able to carry a larger gun? A larger gun could still be made "mostly" concealed (at least in a way that would make it less noticeable) by simply wearing one's shirt untucked.
I can see several advantages to open carry. If you have a child walking with you holding their hand on your weak side it allows you to draw without having to let go of the child . This can help if you need to lead the child away from the scene after you have drawn or to keep the child near you. Also you can carry a bag with your weak hand and still be able to draw without first dropping the bag and the raising your shirt to draw. And there is the chance that you can educate someone about firearms by showing them people who own guns are not bad people.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see several advantages to open carry. If you have a child walking with you holding their hand on your weak side it allows you to draw without having to let go of the child . This can help if you need to lead the child away from the scene after you have drawn or to keep the child near you. Also you can carry a bag with your weak hand and still be able to draw without first dropping the bag and the raising your shirt to draw. And there is the chance that you can educate someone about firearms by showing them people who own guns are not bad people.

Have you really been carrying and not knowing how to draw from concealment with one hand?:yikes2:

Michael Brown

freeranger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just curious, but what do you believe you gain from open carrying aside from being able to carry a larger gun? A larger gun could still be made "mostly" concealed (at least in a way that would make it less noticeable) by simply wearing one's shirt untucked.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I believe that exposure of firearms by those OC'ing may be a tool by which we can educate our fellow citizens. Children today are taught that guns are "evil". Their parents often have had no exposure to firearms themselves. Those who OC provide to the masses that carrying a firearm does not make the firearm or us evil. As more children begin to take note of this fact, it'll make an impression in their mind that will take a bit of "re-education" to dispel. If a child's teacher or parent says guns are evil, and a child has seen honest law abiding citizens carrying without any hint of evil, the children will question the "guns are evil" mantra. Granted that a child may see a police officer carrying a gun, but in their mind (as in my mind when I was a child), police are trustworthy. Why then shouldn't the average citizen be as trustworthy?

I understand the situational awareness aspect of CC and see the validity of carrying concealed. If I'm accosted, carrying concealed provides a "surprise" for my attacker. On the flip side, perhaps I will not be accosted by anyone if they see in advance that I am armed. There is evidence that supports both sides of this issue. Based on the historical aspect of carrying arms, carrying arms concealed was considered to be something those intent on criminal behavior engaged upon. In the philosophical sense it was the cowards way of being armed.

So in the end it comes down to what works for me. I'm more comfortable carrying concealed as I've been doing it since 2001. My style of dress and personal stature dictated that carrying concealed required a mouse gun. My venture today was an experiment. The results came back favorable. And in the process perhaps a few children that see those who OC will come to see us as no threat. That the firearms we carry are not something evil. And hopefully, they'll take this unspoken lesson with them into adulthood. They may even become firearms owners themselves in time simply because they took notice that some average man or woman responsibly carried a firearm and nobody was hurt in the process. :)

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well since Im a LEO The signs dont really apply to me. But I go concealed just because its a lot less trouble and I want it to be a total surprise should I have to defend myself or another. DT...if LEOs count as open carry I can fill a page with documented cases of officers having their guns taken from them and murdered with said gun. You can start by looking up Trooper Nicky Green and see how that went. DAVID 2012...Are you serious? Thats about the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

GC thanks for the reply. I dont really see LEOs as the same as normal people OC'ing. LEOs have to put themselves in the middle of trouble everyday, normal gun carrying people, open or concealed should do their best to stay away from it. How many LEOs lost their guns in a struggle vs how many were just snatched from their holster while they werent paying attention? Im just curious. is there even any stats for this sort of thing?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curious as to what the reaction of my fellow citizens would be, I put on the new Serpa holster, dropped my 1911 down in it and headed off to do some shopping.

This statement embodies my beef with open carry. While I think it should be legal and may be a valid option for some law abiding citizens, strapping on a pistol for the purposes of looking for the "reaction of my fellow citizens" just sits wrong with me.

I carry a firearm for self defense, nothing more. Not to teach, not to get a rise out of people, and not to conduct social engineering experiments. To each their own but this is exactly the behaviour I expected....

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've mentioned elsewhere that I believe that exposure of firearms by those OC'ing may be a tool by which we can educate our fellow citizens. Children today are taught that guns are "evil". Their parents often have had no exposure to firearms themselves. Those who OC provide to the masses that carrying a firearm does not make the firearm or us evil. As more children begin to take note of this fact, it'll make an impression in their mind that will take a bit of "re-education" to dispel. If a child's teacher or parent says guns are evil, and a child has seen honest law abiding citizens carrying without any hint of evil, the children will question the "guns are evil" mantra. Granted that a child may see a police officer carrying a gun, but in their mind (as in my mind when I was a child), police are trustworthy. Why then shouldn't the average citizen be as trustworthy?

I understand the situational awareness aspect of CC and see the validity of carrying concealed. If I'm accosted, carrying concealed provides a "surprise" for my attacker. On the flip side, perhaps I will not be accosted by anyone if they see in advance that I am armed. There is evidence that supports both sides of this issue. Based on the historical aspect of carrying arms, carrying arms concealed was considered to be something those intent on criminal behavior engaged upon. In the philosophical sense it was the cowards way of being armed.

So in the end it comes down to what works for me. I'm more comfortable carrying concealed as I've been doing it since 2001. My style of dress and personal stature dictated that carrying concealed required a mouse gun. My venture today was an experiment. The results came back favorable. And in the process perhaps a few children that see those who OC will come to see us as no threat. That the firearms we carry are not something evil. And hopefully, they'll take this unspoken lesson with them into adulthood. They may even become firearms owners themselves in time simply because they took notice that some average man or woman responsibly carried a firearm and nobody was hurt in the process. :)

good post

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe he is crazy like a fox... carrying the S&W in a holster with no retention and loaded with rounds having dead primers. When a BG grabs his gun, then he will pull his back-up out and blow the BG away Charles Bronson / Vigilante style. :wink2:

thats down right funny lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom