Acog or eotech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ACOG is as good as any optic you will find. The fixed powers are nice, sometimes a hindrance up close, but the BDC reticle is invaluable at distances greater than 300. The nice part is the super clear glass, and the illumination. Day or night the focal point of the reticle is lit. Granted there are a few instances when it will get washed out like when shooting inside a building (or vehicle) to outside sunshine. But the reticle is still black and very usable with out having to fumble with a brightness setting. The weight of the ACOG's are pretty minimal and with a quality mount such as a LaRue, it can be taken off and BUIS utilized for nightstand duty. The ACOG's come in a variety of flavors and species. A big part is figuring out which flavor (color) you like. I have tried green, red, and amber. I currently have one of each and the red and green are my favorite over the amber. But its all personal preference. The amber is still plenty useful and my hunting AR has the TR20 accupoint with amber dot. I get along fine with it. Next you need to decide on a magnification level. I have tried the TA31 (4 power), TA33 (3 power) and TA44 (1.5 power). Currently I have two TA44's, one green circle reticle and one red circle reticle. This for me was the all around best ACOG for my application. The TA31 and TA33 were great for shooting 100-500 with the BDC really being effective. However most of my shooting is 200 to 1 yards, so the added magnification isn't necessary. 1.5 power is plenty good to hit a man sized target offhand at 200. Sometimes I get lucky at 300 but with a rest its pretty easy as well. The 1.5 power TA44 is outstanding 50 yards and in. At 10 yards the slight magnification becomes noticeable but still useful. I shoot steel challenge with one on my NC22 upper and those targets are all around 5 yards. I don't give up much if any when running beside Rusty and his eotech, and he can pull the AR trigger faster than most anybody I've ever seen. I tried the TA33 3 power ACOG with a Burris FastFire, like a RMR or Doctor Optic, on top and hated the 'chin weld'. It was awkward and really not any faster than just using the ACOG or simply shooting over the ACOG. I wanted to try an offset mount but never got around to it. So if you want the ACOG with its ruggedness, no electronics, magnification, and always-on illumination, you simply need to find your favorite color and your desired magnification level based on your most likely distances to be using the ACOG in a real scenario, not showing off shooting 600 yards (which can be done with the TA33 and TA31).

Next is the EoTech. I have tried the XPS2-0. I really liked it. Well built, bright reticle, easy to pick up with the eye, fast on target, stout, long battery life, lightweight. At distance, hitting anything around 2-3 moa was difficult FOR ME. But I didn't buy the eotech to shoot a 6" target at 300 yards. It is great for up close work and mansized targets 200 yards and in, for me. Granted there are guys that can easily hit out to 500 with one, seen it done. But I don't have the patience or steady hand to shoot that far unmagnified. Remembering to turn the 'light' on is something to think about. Seen a lot of guys forget to do that at 3 guns, and when things go 'bump' in the night, I don't want to be fumbling with the switch, which I know all it takes is one press but still, I don't need the added step to remember. Also, I am not a fan of the flip to the side magnifications mounts. Added weight (little i know), greatly added cost (a quality combo equals as much as an ACOG), More things to fail. Try one and see for yourself. I have seen many people during a COF just flip the magnifier out of the way and go no magnification for an entire stage because it really just gets in the way, for some. Its all personal preference and finding somebody that has one and will let you really run it and try it will be very beneficial in your decision. If you plan on having this in a truck in the city or by your nightstand, its not a bad choice. I think the Aimpoint might be better suited with the 2moa dot, being more precise and less cluttered than the eotech's 65 moa ring and dot, and with an 8 year battery life, the Aimpoint wins out IMO.

On to the accupoints. I have tried 3 models of accupoints, and currently own two different models. I use the TR24G with German #4 cross hair for 3 gun. Its a true 1-4 power meaning there's no magnification at all on 1 power, some of the 'cheaper' optics claim true 1 power and some simply don't deliver on that claim. Important? If I'm paying for it, I want it to be exactly as the manufacturer claims, and 1 power definitely has its benefits over 1.25 or 1.5 power. The German #4 isn't the perfect reticle as it has no hash marks or BDC, but it is manageable to hit anything 4 moa out to 400 or 500 fairly easily. I just figured out exactly where mine was hitting at 300 and 400 so I should be g2g in most 3 gun matches I shoot. Inside 25 yards the true 1 power is greatly beneficial at getting rounds on target and transitions smoothly and quickly to the next without having to raise my head to see it, Both eyes open. I have tried the Triangle reticle and while some claim it is faster up close and just at precise at distance as the German #4 reticle, I did not find that to be true. First the post the triangle sits on is a huge black line and is noticeably in the way when trying to be precise and judge holdovers, but thats at pretty good distances, 400 and beyond. Next they say the tip of the triangle can be used to be precise at 100. I also found that to be false. The tip really isn't as pointed as it should be, like the TA31 chevron reticle. Up close, the triangle is plenty fast, but I found myself looking at the triangle, being it was so big, rather than seeing the target, like with the German #4 dot, I see the target and the dot is there. With the triangle, I see the triangle and then look for the target. I am sure this can be trained away but it was much simpler to switch to a 'better' reticle, for me. The weight of the TR24 can be an issue as it is heavy, but it is built like a tank. I am pretty rough on it and I shoot it A LOT and never have I had a problem with it holding zero. Granted it is in a LaRue mount. Which by the way are the best mounts available. How do I know? I'll tell you. The day I got my TR20-2 Accupoint which is the 3-9x40 with mil-dot amber cross hair, I went coyote hunting. Walking to my first stand, my sling broke. My rifle fell from my shoulder onto a hard gravel packed oil field road with a thud, right on the scope. I was sick. I went home to sight it in and I was hitting 4 foot high, maxed out on elevation. I called LaRue and they told me to send them the mount and scope as I had bought it directly from them as a package deal. I sent it in and 3 days later I get a call. He asked what I did to their mount and I told my story. He called ********. I thought I had screwed up my scope, but really I had bent their mount. LaRue mounts are built like tanks but I managed to bend it, and not even hurt my Accupoint, other than a small cosmetic scratch. Finally said he had never seen one bent by falling but he didn't really care, it was bent and it was their product. A few days later I had my same scope and a new mount on my doorstep. LaRue's customer service is second to none. Anyways, the TR20 is a great optic for hunting and medium distance shooting. I have hit fairly easily out to 600 with it. 500 and in is too easy, once its dialed in. For hunting, its perfect, to me. I leave it on 3 power when calling in case a coyote comes rushing in. I've made shots at 10 yards on a running coyote pretty easily. If a coyote hangs up at distance, I then dial it up to 9 power and take the shot. 9 power is pretty valuable at 300 yards on a barking coyote. The tritium on the ACOG's and Accupoints have a 10 year half life, meaning in 10 years it will be half as bright. For me, I will never be shooting in total darkness, because I can't ID my target, to ID my target I use my WML and then the tritium is useless once there's any light at all, the fiber optic takes over the illumination job. Sometimes the illumination is too bright and it begins to bloom much like an eotech on high setting, it can be fixed by putting tape over the fiber optic, or your hand, or the Accupoints actually have a shade I can rotate over the fiber optic to block out the light.

So... You need to figure out what you will be shooting, how far it will most likely be most of the time, what your budget is, what your total weight of your firearm is, and basically if you want an investment or just something to get by. You're welcome any time to try mine out. Just let me know when and where and bring some factory loaded brass ammo and shoot until you run out. I am not an expert. This is my advice and observations from first hand experience or first hand observations of others experience. Like it, great. Disagree with it, let me know! I don't want to argue but want to learn from others with first hand experiences different from my own. That's what forums are for. That's all I have for now.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread would be a lot more helpful if people would give their experiences and specifics as to why choose one over the other. Simply saying "ACOG" is not very helpful. If you prefer one over the other, tell us why and give us your experience. Not "I like the ACOG better because I can make head shots on Call Of Duty".

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread would be a lot more helpful if people would give their experiences and specifics as to why choose one over the other. Simply saying "ACOG" is not very helpful. If you prefer one over the other, tell us why and give us your experience. Not "I like the ACOG better because I can make head shots on Call Of Duty".

But I can. :rotflmao:

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No experience with Eotech here, but a LOT of experience with Aimpoint and ACOG. I do know a Stillwater Police officer who'll take an Eotech over anything else and a former Tulsa County Deputy Sheriff who said the same. Both Aimpoint and ACOG are very robust sights in my experience, but I have seen the on/off switch get broken off of the Aimpoints. No switch on the ACOG. +1 ACOG. Both can be fine tuned for excellent accuracy, but ACOG has a BDC reticle that can be used to range targets much more easily than with a red dot. +2 ACOG. Aimpoint needs no eye relief and in fact testing has shown that most shooters do better with it the further from the eye it is. ACOG needs around 3" of eye relief for proper sight picture. +1 Aimpoint. The Aimpoint is an Excellent CQB sight that is easy to use. ACOG takes more work or needs an RMR/irons on top. +2 Aimpoint. The ACOG is magnified. The Aimpoint is not. +3 ACOG. The Aimpoint(depending on model) can be had for half to a third the price if an ACOG. +3 Aimpoint. It all depends on your needs/budget, but more importantly, what you use best. I myself do well with both of the sights I talked about, but prefer the ACOG with the irons built on top

Latest posts

Top Bottom