Acog or eotech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two of the worse models of eotech. The 551 is the "smaller" version of the 552 which is a honking beast on top of a rifle. The 552 uses AA batteries which have been known to jiggle and lose connection during sustained fire. Although AA batteries are much more common than the 551's N cell batteries, which are far too underpowered and go dead very quickly. You can find the N cell batteries at Walmart in the camera section, but walking into the local 7/11 and buying an 8 pack of N cell's is out of the question. Given the choice of those two terrible Eotechs, I'd go with the 552. The 552 I had had a much much better battery life than the 551 I had afterward.

The XPS line of Eotechs are far superior than anything they've put out before. Go with an XPS. They can be found fairly cheap in used classifieds.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally like the red dot of Aimpoints. Seems to be a good sight for up close as well as for the reach out shots. Not quite as open as Eotech for CQB stuff but far easier for me at 50 yards is the aimpoint. Personal preference though.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really prefer my Aimpoint over the Eotech. That I shot. Once. A long, long time ago. About 2006. So my opinion means squat but I"ll give it anyway.

It just seemed "blurry" to me. I couldn't see anything through it hardly as the sun was setting. My Aimpoint I can use all day, less "clutter" (I have eye adjustment issues, evidently, 'cause I had to train my eye to instantly see my ACOG's Chevron and the large ring on the Eotech always drew my eye), and the battery life is longer. Aimpoint is pretty great for quick snap shooting, too. The Eotech sounds better in theory, I just didn't like it as much as I like my Aimpoint.

That said I prefer my ACOG quite a bit. WIth the BAC, it doesn't do anything extremely well but does all things extremely proficiently, which is what I wanted in a general purpose optic for my general purpose AR. I dry fired the **** out of my AR, working the BAC and getting used to it until I felt pretty confident with it. Took it out to a range I could rapid fire it for the first time and set two targets a foot and a half apart at 25 yards with two mags each loaded with six rounds apiece. Shouldered, three in the left target, three in the right, reloaded, repeat. All of my shots were in the bullseye of both of the shoot and see targets I was using in a two nice little .5" groups.

The Aimpoint is the supreme CQB sight. It beats the Eotech in versatility, utility, and ruggedness IMHO. It is less ideal than an Eotech once you start getting farther out past around 150 yards, but still quite useable all the way out to even 300 and for some people (not me, but I haven't shot it much farther than 300 but a couple of times in my life anyway) even farther. However, CQB inside 100 yards is what it excels at, and not many things can beat an Aimpoint inside of 100 yards for speed and accuracy. For home defense rifles I prefer the Aimpoint, although the Eotech is absolutely no slouch in this role either. So if you're building a defensive/reactive rifle the red dot sight is the way to go, and I'd look for a way to shoot with both sights and see which one you prefer.

If you're building a general purpose rifle woods rifle or even just a rifle to mess around with from the bench, the ACOG is the way to go. I can shoot my Aimpoint out to 200 yards at Happy Hollow but my ACOG makes it so much easier. I can look downrange at the target and make out detail and score 200 yard headshots on a police silhouette target. It's a superbly rugged scope. No batteries. The glass is super clear and just nice and easy to see and everything is very detailed. Easy to zero. I can engaged targets as close to 25 yards with ease using the BAC, while just a few fractions of a second slower than my Aimpoint. As a precision long range scope, it doesn't do it's job as well as a dedicated variable powered optic. As a reflex sight, it doesn't do it's job as well as a RDS. However, it does both jobs equally decently, and that's why I prefer it.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, screw ACOGs and EOTECHs... what you need is a custom NcStar tactical railed scope from Rijas... lifetime warrantied and guaranteed to make you shoot 1/3 MOA out to 700 yards, for only $799.95. It's really a bargain considering what all you get. And it's combat tested, too.

:D :D :D

W

White Kid

Yeah, screw ACOGs and EOTECHs... what you need is a custom NcStar tactical railed scope from Rijas... lifetime warrantied and guaranteed to make you shoot 1/3 MOA out to 700 yards, for only $799.95. It's really a bargain considering what all you get. And it's combat tested, too.

:D :D :D
I had something from NcStar and it was horrible! Even on a Ruger MK3 .22LR handguns it would turn off. It was a piece of junk!

Latest posts

Top Bottom