Air Force CMSgt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the CMSgt on the left side of the stairs as Biden walks up. First, he looks young to be a Chief and second, his chest is absolutely loaded with ribbons, which probably explains why he is a Chief at so (apparently) young an age

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_7332.jpeg

Da man!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all that unusual,,,
Although the one pictured looks like a High School kid.

I knew an Airman when I was in,,,
He sewed CMSgt on at the age of 39,,,
That was one year after he made 20 years.

In contrast I sewed on SSgt stripes at 3 years, 6 months, and two days.

Then sat at that rank for the next 4 1/2 years.

Aarond

P.S. in my 8-years in the USAF,,,
I never saw a Chief from a technical field,,,
Every one I ever knew had an Administrative AFSC.

Were these guys on a separate career/promotion track than us regular Airmen?

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy looks like a newly minted CMSgt. Looks like a MSM ribbon but I can’t pull it up enough to make out more. Maybe he worked in Personn-Awards and Decorations? I’ve seen some of those guys heavy with medals.The other guy, a MSgt is looking his age.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has been a lot of attrition in the military. Many young people aren’t staying in for a career, and many of the older people are aging out. That makes for quicker advancement for the younger ones that stick it out. It took me 31 years to make Chief (in a technical field, 3D100) and I’m on the way out now. My replacement will be several years younger. I’m all for it, we need a different kind of force for what we have ahead of us.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has been a lot of attrition in the military. Many young people aren’t staying in for a career, and many of the older people are aging out. That makes for quicker advancement for the younger ones that stick it out. It took me 31 years to make Chief (in a technical field, 3D100) and I’m on the way out now. My replacement will be several years younger. I’m all for it, we need a different kind of force for what we have ahead of us.

Thank you for your service. I only spent 3 years in…I thought I would make it a career, but my first assignment left a bad taste in my mouth, and got out after just 3 years under the Force Shaping program. My dad spent 26 years in and retired as a SMsgt. I would have hit 20 years next year had I stayed in, but I don’t have any regrets. The military now is not the same one I grew up around.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in the Army in the late '60's, it was mentioned that one could gain the early enlisted ranks quickly in the Army, but slowly in the Air Force. It was suggested to get to something like Staff Sergeant (E-6) in the Army and then transfer to the AF. Once in the AF, the higher enlisted ranks were supposedly quicker to attain than what it was in the Army.

That's what I was told, but I couldn't ever find factual evidence that it was true. Had I re-enlisted after four years, I was told that re-upping would have given me E-6 rank.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the CMSgt on the left side of the stairs as Biden walks up. First, he looks young to be a Chief and second, his chest is absolutely loaded with ribbons, which probably explains why he is a Chief at so (apparently) young an age

I retired as a Master Sergeant at 24 years and age 42. Blew off the test for Senior Master Sergeant because it would have put me permanently at a desk. Somehow I was still a technician and trainer after 7 years as a MSgt, until my final year. Then I got a couple of short-term jobs in ancillary training & quality assurance to finish out the last year of my career. I'd have stayed as a tech and trainer until I dropped dead, if they'd have let me. Loved that work, hated the admin crap. That was in 1997. November 1st I'll have been retired for 27 years. Drive onto the base daily weekdays, now, as my 32yo autistic son does janitorial work for Dale Rogers Training Center on base. They ALL look young.

Latest posts

Top Bottom