Air Force CMSgt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A LOT of those ribbons are service and achievement. Some are unit citations. The admin types dig into the regs and find all kinds of ribbons they get talk their supervisors into giving them.

I’ve always been curious why they are wearing Security Police Badges. The SP’s or Security Forces as they are known now wear berets, not garrison caps.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where’s the thumbs down button? Just kidding Buffer, the AC in those hangers makes it tolerable when we’re in there straightening up our enormous ribbon racks.
I can see that. A desk piled high with regulation books looking them up and then finding the current uniform regs to make sure they’re all assembled in the correct order. It’s a tough tedious job.

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A LOT of those ribbons are service and achievement. Some are unit citations. The admin types dig into the regs and find all kinds of ribbons they get talk their supervisors into giving them.

I’ve always been curious why they are wearing Security Police Badges. The SP’s or Security Forces as they are known now wear berets, not garrison caps.

The Chief in the picture is in the security forces career field and why wearing the badge. Security forces has responsibility for Air Force One protection at Andrews AFB where this picture was probably taken.

The Chief is wearing the bus driver cap to look extra fancy for the Presidential service. Otherwise, they wear berets.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being promoted to SMSgt or CMSgt really depends on where one is assigned and is somewhat political. A lot of good people who worked hard and deserved those ranks never had a chance to attain them due to various reasons. And by the same token, a lot of people were promoted to those grades who shouldn't have ever been considered for those grades.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for your service. I only spent 3 years in…I thought I would make it a career, but my first assignment left a bad taste in my mouth, and got out after just 3 years under the Force Shaping program. My dad spent 26 years in and retired as a SMsgt. I would have hit 20 years next year had I stayed in, but I don’t have any regrets. The military now is not the same one I grew up around.
One enlistment for me also. It was screwed up in 1983.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One enlistment for me also. It was screwed up in 1983.
I enlisted in 1973, and heard the same thing from senior NCOs, when I was a young troop. Pretty sure the Sergeant in Sargon the Great's army who first said "Come on, you apes, you wanna live forever!?!" was also complaining about the young troops with his compatriot at the NCO club...

Pretty sure I said some things like that too, at least occasionally. 😅

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enlisted in 1973, and heard the same thing from senior NCOs, when I was a young troop. Pretty sure the Sergeant in Sargon the Great's army who first said "Come on, you apes, you wanna live forever!?!" was also complaining about the young troops with his compatriot at the NCO club...

Pretty sure I said some things like that too, at least occasionally. 😅
When they contract your job out to third country nationals and you never worked in your rating, it's pretty screwed up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom