Airport Screening Abuse Growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I pay car insurance and a car payment every month, do I have a constitutional right to drive it on public roads?

The statement I quoted had nothing to do with rights.You said flying was a privelege,which it's not,nor is it a right,it's merely a service that's being made intolerable by government intervention in the name of "safety/security".

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pilots, FAs, passengers should all be allowed to carry if they want. Hijackings will stop (haven't they already anyway?) No one would try to hijack a plane if they knew there were people on board willing to fight back. Too often the people of this country are willing to let the government do their fighting for them. We've become pansies because that's what the gov wants. They even tell us to 'cooperate and give them what they want'. That didn't work too well on 9/11 did it?

So true!

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The statement I quoted had nothing to do with rights.You said flying was a privelege,which it's not,nor is it a right,it's merely a service that's being made intolerable by government intervention in the name of "safety/security".

you agree to give up certain 'rights' many times in a day in the name of service, though. If you don't want to wave your rights then don't us the service.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apples to oranges.

Your car payment isn't for a service of being able to use the car, and neither is the car insurance.

You're just skirting around the response, do I have a right to drive my car on public roads or is that a privilege established by my driver's license? What about my pilot's certificate? That's also a privilege that I paid way too much for. I'm not talking right or wrong here I'm talking legalities.

As for a service provided by the airline, they provide it after you board the plane not during the screening process. Airlines would probably do a much better job if they were allowed to take more money per ticket and do their own screening because not only would they be responsible for their passenger's safety they would also be responsible for their expensive planes and public image.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
X-ray the bags if you want, but don't open them unless the owner is present and grants approval. That also allows a quick arrest if you're right.

Wait, if a bag can be x-rayed then can't it be opened without owners consent if the agent feels there is something worth checking? Isn't that considered probably cause since they think they've 'seen' something? (you can argue they aren't law enforcement agents, but the guy scanning the bag could just as easily call a cop over each time).

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you agree to give up certain 'rights' many times in a day in the name of service, though. If you don't want to wave your rights then don't us the service.

Already been addressed,not an option taking the bus or car is too slow.I'll tell you what,I propose that if someone was able to start an airline that would not have to deal with TSA,would allow passengers to fly armed,have no personal screenings(screen baggage) it would be a huge success and the only airline I would ever fly.I can only dream.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could you give me some examples please?

"video cameras in use"
"premises under video observation"
etc.

Taking a job that requires you to keep some information confidential concedes your right to free speech.

Heck any time you agree to a terms of service you are probably conceding certain rights to the company you are dealing with. "(Company name) retains all ownership of copyright for any entries to our contest"

your right use privacy does not trump their right to security if you want to use whatever service they are providing.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you all allow government to bend the rules? Why allow them to search you without cause? Why allow them to not adhere to the Constitution?

This is what's wrong with America. Granted most of it is allowed because folks aren't aware of their rights. And in that regard, ignorance is bliss for .gov.

I just don't get it. We complain about government all the time here. And then in the name of safety we allow them to do as they please. Benjamin Franklin said something about that.

The answer is not treating us like cattle... But allowing pilots to pack, allowing citizens to pack... Allowing people to defend themselves instead of the government supposedly doing it for us.

Why the willingness to hand over our liberties to government?

If this were a 2nd Amendment issue, it would be much different here.

The entire over-complicated system needs an overhaul but we allow them to continue down this all-powerful path - and even encourage it.

Sometimes, I just don't get this place.

3 Pages and finally - someone GETS IT!

I'm amazed that so many here - not all but it seems the majority - have no problem at all being treated like a criminal and the presumption that you are one just so you can fly.

I don't get it.

And I do not fly because I refuse to be presumed to be and treated like a criminal by a government that I served honorably and put my life on the line for for 13 years. That same government that exists to protect my freedoms as enumerated in the BOR's and not to violate them in the name of safety as if we are sheep or children that need to be protected.

See my Sig Line. I would add to that that we can be free or be safe. The two aren't completely incompatible - you can force oil and water to mix - but they're incompatible enough that IMO you can really only have one or the other.

Unfortunately it seems that these days most have chosen safety and the SCOTUS happily goes along with the masses as they bleat their way through their safe and comfortable lives.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Already been addressed,not an option taking the bus or car is too slow.

That is absurd. You can't tell a cop that you didn't have time to disarm yourself before being due in court.

As was said, if you want to use the airline's service you have to abide by the rules put in place (be it by them or the government). If the rules are too much for you to agree to then you find alternative transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom