Airport Screening Abuse Growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why do you all allow government to bend the rules? Why allow them to search you without cause? Why allow them to not adhere to the Constitution?

This is what's wrong with America. Granted most of it is allowed because folks aren't aware of their rights. And in that regard, ignorance is bliss for .gov.

I just don't get it. We complain about government all the time here. And then in the name of safety we allow them to do as they please. Benjamin Franklin said something about that.

The answer is not treating us like cattle... But allowing pilots to pack, allowing citizens to pack... Allowing people to defend themselves instead of the government supposedly doing it for us.

Why the willingness to hand over our liberties to government?

If this were a 2nd Amendment issue, it would be much different here.

The entire over-complicated system needs an overhaul but we allow them to continue down this all-powerful path - and even encourage it.

Sometimes, I just don't get this place.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm not breaking any laws, what are YOU so worried about?

Probably this

[Broken External Image]

Flying is a privilege, not a right. If you don't like that fact then take the bus. You surrender your right to privacy when you enter the airport, why is no one whining about luggage being searched? Don't mind if your wife's unmentionables are rifled through as long as they don't see your junk? What about that skid marked pair of tighty whiteys you crammed in the corner of your suitcase?

I don't agree with the new body imaging scanners because of the human element involved, if there was A.I. that popped an alarm when it detected something suspicious and then introduced a human to wand, pat down, or search then I would be fine with the technology. Supposedly they're creating new software for the scanners to show a non-descript generic image of a unisex individual and highlight suspect areas.

Oh and getting your pilot certificate is genius. Despite the $10k in training for a private pilot certificate with instrument rating you would need to actually get around well enough to fly yourself you would have plane costs well over $100 an hour. That $70 Southwest ticket to Dallas would quickly turn into a $300-400 trip one way. I'm not saying not to get your pilot certificate, I mean it's great and all, but as a replacement to airline travel it's not really economically feasible unless you're wealthy.

I drove 4400 miles my last vacation and I enjoyed it immensely. Also, there's no such thing as absolute safety or security. We just have to do the best we can.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They? Who is they? And why give them a false sense of security when you can give real security?

Why so ready to hand our lives over to people that don't give a ****, and are content with making us 'feel' secure?
I don't get it.

"They" referred to the people that think it is ok to use the scanners.
I think the scanners are giving people a false sense of security.
If someone wants to get a plane and crash it I seriously doubt an airport scanner will stop them.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Probably this

[Broken External Image]

Flying is a privilege, not a right. If you don't like that fact then take the bus. You surrender your right to privacy when you enter the airport, why is no one whining about luggage being searched? Don't mind if your wife's unmentionables are rifled through as long as they don't see your junk? What about that skid marked pair of tighty whiteys you crammed in the corner of your suitcase?

I don't agree with the new body imaging scanners because of the human element involved, if there was A.I. that popped an alarm when it detected something suspicious and then introduced a human to wand, pat down, or search then I would be fine with the technology. Supposedly they're creating new software for the scanners to show a non-descript generic image of a unisex individual and highlight suspect areas.

Oh and getting your pilot certificate is genius. Despite the $10k in training for a private pilot certificate with instrument rating you would need to actually get around well enough to fly yourself you would have plane costs well over $100 an hour. That $70 Southwest ticket to Dallas would quickly turn into a $300-400 trip one way. I'm not saying not to get your pilot certificate, I mean it's great and all, but as a replacement to airline travel it's not really economically feasible unless you're wealthy.

I drove 4400 miles my last vacation and I enjoyed it immensely. Also, there's no such thing as absolute safety or security. We just have to do the best we can.

Yeah, .gov really benefited from that. Look at the increase in spending, the increase wars, the increase profits for the likes of Haliburton, the increase in .gov's size... And to top it off, now a precedent for more control. Just be obedient little sheep, they'll keep us safe... Even though box-cutters were prohibited prior to 911.

I'm sure .gov is so upset over the matter.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to know where I can buy one of these "naked scanners".

In an entirely unrelated note, are there any contractors on the board that could install an.. uh.. let's say "electronic device" in my doorway?

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how far we can take this "you have no right to . . . . " thing. How many more things do I not have a 'right' to do?

Ride a horse
Buy a house
Walk on the sidewalk
Eat bacon
Consume poly-unstaurated fats
But Happy meals for my kids (with toys included)

The list is endless, is it not?

Yeah the list would truly be endless. Not my point though. My point is people seem to only have an issue with something when it is an inconvenience (spelling sucks) to them. On the other hand, i do feel that government is getting way to intrusive in the private sector. Allowing pilots to pack, customers to pack is good and all, but what about the baggage being checked? Can they look through it to make sure there are no bombs? Or is that invasion of privacy as well? It's a very fine line here. If we assume everyone is innocent, the bad guys will walk right in and blow sh** up. If we assume everyone is guilty, it becomes a violation of rights. This is where the major problem lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom