AK-47 or AK-74?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More effective fighting round?

• Total voters

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I remember which video you are speaking of. And you are correct. But I would point out a couple of things;
1. the post was asking about 7.62x39 vs 5.45x39 and that was what I was addressing, not 5.56 vs 5.45. 7.62 will certainly carry your liability further outside the house than 5.45 in most circumstances
2. I have seen 5.45 yaw much sooner than that shown in the video. I don't think these instances are that rare either. I do not have scientific data to support my views, as I said in my original post. Just my two cents worth.
Dave

I'm not so sure about this. There was a comparison made a few years ago between an AR and an AK-74, and the test was videotaped. I can't find it online just now, but the authors shot the AR through a frame with squares of wood spaced slightly apart. IIRC, the 5.56 round penetrated 6 or 7 of the boards before being stopped, while the 5.45 round went through 12 boards before yawing out of the frame, clipping the 13th board on its way out. The penetrating power of the 5.45 round was an eye-opener.

Keep in mind the core of a surplus 5.45 round is a steel rod, whereas a typical 7.62x39 round is lead-cored. Less deformation, more penetration, right?

ETA: On second thought, the 5.45 round is a lot lighter than the 7.62 round. So I'm probably talking apples to oranges ;)

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In full auto it does it really fast(2 full mags) to wear its uncomfortable to hold onto the forend.

Sonny Puzikas says men in his Spetnatz unit wore a glove on the support hand in long fire fights.I have been shooting AK's for 20 + years and until last week I had not shot a 74.The 5.45 is a sweet round,but I'm too heavily invested in 7.62.If I was starting out I would look hard at the 74,probably a Tantal or Bulgy.

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get one of each,that's what I'm gunna do:) just got to get a 74,although I'll have more 47's because the 30 caliber projectile will plow through about the same things but cause more damage fron the mass, watched the AR vs AK test on cinder blocks,I was sold,then ya gor the PSL but can't go above 148 gr projectile because it's a cheap gun and can't handle the recoil and it will go through anything, well most anything we ought to be shooting at.
I jacked up one of my .22 swinging steel targets,1/4" steel plate, almost completely penetrated it with a lead core 148gr boollet, ahh fun times. Check out the FPK it's the paratrooper version of the PSL,only backdraw is the 10 round mags, but a gollywopper of a bullet,7.62x54 Russian 30.06.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are asking me, I bought a Bulgarian-made, and an Arsenal Saiga. both great, but the Saiga has the edge. See the other thread I started here in Rifles.

I bought both from "goodoleboy" here on OSA:woohoo1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom