High end AR’s, diminishing returns, and reliability.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadof#4

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t seen much in terms of high end AR talk on here, which is a shame, as there’s a ton of knowledge being stored in people’s heads around here. Ever since getting out of the military I have not been very interested in the AR platform. It’s kinda boring. But I’ve been coming back around a bit, the AK platform has lost a lot of its luster as the ammo prices have skyrocketed and the import restrictions just keep getting worse.

So I would like to school myself up a bit on higher quality AR options, and considerations with all that stuff. Mostly looking at stuff that the AR was originally made for: a solid fighting carbine.

I have a few questions to start things off, but I would be stoked for any other questions being added or any unsolicited advice about the subject.

I am curious about brands. I understand that a lot is qc and engineering that you’re paying for. An Anderson or bushmaster rifle isn’t going to ever come close to a Knights Armament, but what about a BCM vs a KAC? Is SOLGW any good?

Mixing parts: can I expect good results if I say, put a SOLGW or BCM upper on a lower I have laying around, assuming I adjust the buffer weight as needed? Why or why not?

How good is “good enough” for you? Where do you draw the line?

If you had a $1500-1800 budget for a bare rifle, what would you do? Build or buy? What?
I can afford higher end Ar's now, so I buy them. DD's and Sig's

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a rock river that performs incredibly well. It’s got a heavy SS bull barrel so I don’t stand and shoot with it. It just weights too much

Latest posts

Top Bottom