High end AR’s, diminishing returns, and reliability.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Sniper-Country-AR-15-Tiers-Gen-1-1-1024x614.png

or

where-does-this-tier-list-come-from-v0-20pgg87sdev81.jpg
Rock River has had one of the best bang for your buck triggers for years...... the 2 stage Varmint trigger is the nuts for what they cost....... I would not throw a rock river out of bed for eating crackers......

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Larue just posted some “stealth” uppers for 999. I have no knowledge of their build specs but they’ve got 16” and 18” options listed. This was his post on shooting one of them, groups averaging .344

View attachment 394300
At one time I came real close to buying a LaRue upper to put on a complete LaRue lower that I got a deal on from another member here.

One thing that gave me pause was the quad rail handguards they use. I hate to pay that much for an upper with a handgaurd I don't care for, then have the added expense of replacing it.

I'm not a wannabe operator that needs that fat uncomfortable handgaurd to hang all my tacticool stuff on.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time I came real close to buying a LaRue upper to put on a complete LaRue lower that I got a deal on from another member here.

One thing that gave me pause was the quad rail handguards they use. I hate to pay that much for an upper with a handgaurd I don't care for, then have the added expense of replacing it.

I'm not a wannabe operator that needs that fat uncomfortable handgaurd to hang all my tacticool stuff on.

To bring things up to speed to current times, there's probably more "tacticool stuff" made now that will hang off an MLOK rail opposed to a QUAD. So it's more of a preference. Some guys like the rigidity, strength and function.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh dude.... you poor lad..... you can build yourself one heck of a rifle for 1k or less if you shop around and look for parts...... and yes you can mix and match parts..... don't let anyone tell you that you need all this or all that from one particular manufacturer. I built a custom coyote rifle with a DPMS yes.... yes I said DPMS barrel in it..... the thing will print 3 shot groups under 1/2 MOA........@ 100 yards. The heart of an AR is the barrel... the BCG.... and the trigger..... just about everything else can be middle of the road...... there is ZERO need to spend 2500 bucks on an AR.... it's like buying a brand new shiny 2011 just to impress your friends at the range...... now if that's your bag.... then rock it out. But to build a good AR that will last you years... shoot great and be reliable..... yeah man... can be done for way under your budget.

You should post up a build sheet and said rifle..... it would probably help those like the OP.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
To bring things up to speed to current times, there's probably more "tacticool stuff" made now that will hang off an MLOK rail opposed to a QUAD. So it's more of a preference. Some guys like the rigidity, strength and function.
My first AR many years ago had a quad rail. I learned not to like it but like I said, I don't hang a bunch of stuff off of my handgaurd. I guess if you use a forward vertical grip it doesn't matter as much but I actually wrap my hand around the handgaurd when shooting and even with rail covers the quad rail is a no go for me. I don't even want a full top rail on mine.

Like you said, it's obviously a matter of preference. This is my favorite handgaurd that I own at this time...

1689769979804.png

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-atlas-s-one-m-lok-handguard

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest perk that I have experienced, and heard from others is that quad rails have more material, which means they work better as a heatsink than thin, light hand guards.

I love the look and utility of quad rails. The heat tolerance is great too. But at the end of the day, I would rather deal with the heat than deal with the weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom