Alaska hiker shoots bear and himself with 10mm handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I converted to the 10mm as well. That .44 hog leg I carried in a chest rig was just too much to deal with. Plus the 10mm does have a distinct round count advantage over a revo when that bear is swatting one around like a rag doll.
G20 with buffalo bore 220gr hard cast and 16 rds - if bear not dead, you are.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a film on almost the same exact story I shared with you guys months ago that was almost exact same scenario.

Father son hunting trip, bear attacks father and son.
Son climbs a tree and accidentally shoots dad. Son has to carry or rather drag Dad thru wilderness for miles and miles...

Good movie to watch with your kids to teach the importance of gun safety because as I can see this actually happens in real world scenarios.... Oklahoma does have bears and mountain lions. Rare but they are out there. Big boars, bobcats, coyotes, wolfs ECT... Wouldn't want any of them coming at me especially if they were rabid.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering he was actively being mauled by a bear, I’ll go ahead give him the benefit of the doubt on the accident lol, and not assume he has no business with firearms
No ****! Bears eat their prey alive. If a bear has hold of me I'll eat a bullet salad. "Eaten by bear" is NOWHERE on my top 600 list of ways I'd like to die.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Off topic but related to the OP.
There is a bar in Jackson Hole WY called the Million Dollar Saloon. Just inside the door is a stuffed bear standing up and a plaque that tells an incredible story of how it was killed.
Basically a trapper or guide in the mountains somewhere near Jackson, was attacked by this bear that stood about as tall as me (6'-1") and the trapper didn't have a weapon or wasnt able to get to it in time or something. So he rammed his fist and arm down the bears throat, basically pulling on anything he could get his hand on inside there and either suffocated the bear or tore its throat open to be able to grab major arteries and rip them.
It's been 30 years since I read it so the details are sketchy but in a nutshell, thats what went down.
Thats one man I'd never want to piss off.
If your ever in Jackson Hole (now renamed just Jackson I think) you should stop in, the Million Dollar is a very neat place with real saddles for barstools and the bar top is covered in real silver dollars under a thick layer of lacquer. I dont think there are 1 million of them but I wasnt about to try and count lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Off topic but related to the OP.
There is a bar in Jackson Hole WY called the Million Dollar Saloon. Just inside the door is a stuffed bear standing up and a plaque that tells an incredible story of how it was killed.
Basically a trapper or guide in the mountains somewhere near Jackson, was attacked by this bear that stood about as tall as me (6'-1") and the trapper didn't have a weapon or wasnt able to get to it in time or something. So he rammed his fist and arm down the bears throat, basically pulling on anything he could get his hand on inside there and either suffocated the bear or tore its throat open to be able to grab major arteries and rip them.
It's been 30 years since I read it so the details are sketchy but in a nutshell, thats what went down.
Thats one man I'd never want to piss off.
If your ever in Jackson Hole (now renamed just Jackson I think) you should stop in, the Million Dollar is a very neat place with real saddles for barstools and the bar top is covered in real silver dollars under a thick layer of lacquer. I dont think there are 1 million of them but I wasnt about to try and count lol.
I was in that bar sitting on one of the saddles in 2021. The griz is still there but has been moved a little more to the back. Your story is correct.
Jackson now has the most expensive real estate in the world. The billionaires are moving the millionaires out of town after buying up all the housing.
We stopped at the store front of a realtor to check some of the listings they had in the front window.
An 800 square foot house with two bedrooms built in the 1920's was listed for many millions of dollars. I don't remember the exact number, but it was enough to get a holy crap would you look at that comment to the friends with us.
That same home in Ponca City would sell for around $20K.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in that bar sitting on one of the saddles in 2021. The griz is still there but has been moved a little more to the back. Your story is correct.
Jackson now has the most expensive real estate in the world. The billionaires are moving the millionaires out of town after buying up all the housing.
We stopped at the store front of a realtor to check some of the listings they had in the front window.
An 800 square foot house with two bedrooms built in the 1920's was listed for many millions of dollars. I don't remember the exact number, but it was enough to get a holy crap would you look at that comment to the friends with us.
That same home in Ponca City would sell for around $20K.
Yeah I was there in 96 on a motorcycle ride from OKC to northern MT, then back through Sturgis SD. Back then Jackson was super expensive but nothing like you said. I did look at real estate in Bozeman, MT and a house built like the one I had in OKC, 1000' built in 55 would cost $500k.
Mine was $49k.
Stupid

Latest posts

Top Bottom