All the Walmart gougers ready?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe Walmart needs to stop stocking it for a while and see what happens? They will lose alot of money and not have customers in the store at 5:00am using their buggies and chairs to wait for two hours!
Won't be long and there will be tents set up in sporting goods, thinking about, lol!!!!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shortage is the lead for bullets.
Since Obama and the EPA shut down the last lead smelter the scrap lead has to be hauled to Mexico and elsewhere, melted, refined, made into lead wire for swaging and ingots for casting, then re-imported back into the US before the ammo companies can get their hands on it.
Considerably raising the cost.
The only reason your seeing any 22 ammo below about $35-40 a brick is because companies like Walmart, Bass pro, Cabela's etc CONTRACTED well in advance for ammo the manufacturers have yet to deliver.
Once those contracts are over you will see the new prices and it may make you wish you bought some at $40 a brick

scooby13dew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped at Walmart to buy some cr123 batteries yesterday they keep them locked up with the ammo in okmulgee but when I walked over to the case the guy asked if I was their for the 22lr I said no but if you have some I'll take it. It cost me 78 dollars for 3 boxes of federal 550 count today I seen a guy selling the same thing for 40 a box that he just bought yesterday I called him out on it and he deleted his add. People like that shouldn't be allowed on any gun sites period. He told me that a wise man said don't pass on good business and I told him it's not good business it just makes you look like a d-bag.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 40# boat anchor made of lead, how many 22lr can I get out of that, not real good with math?

40# x 7,000(gr/#) then divide by weight of the bullet you want to cast.

(40*7,000)/22 equals ~12,727 bullets. If you add in tin or other metals to harden the bullets some that will adjust the numbers as well.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw some of that at the OKC show a couple weeks ago. I laughed and, walked on by...
If folks will STOP paying these guys 3X what the crap is worth, they'll quit doing what they're doing.

Yep, but most will do it bc they 1. Either don't know better and used to $60 bricks or 2. Are at wits end and figure WTH...it's only $$ and 3. They are rich enough and $60 bricks are the least of your worries.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shortage is the lead for bullets.
Since Obama and the EPA shut down the last lead smelter the scrap lead has to be hauled to Mexico and elsewhere, melted, refined, made into lead wire for swaging and ingots for casting, then re-imported back into the US before the ammo companies can get their hands on it.
Considerably raising the cost.
The only reason your seeing any 22 ammo below about $35-40 a brick is because companies like Walmart, Bass pro, Cabela's etc CONTRACTED well in advance for ammo the manufacturers have yet to deliver.
Once those contracts are over you will see the new prices and it may make you wish you bought some at $40 a brick

All that "scrap lead" you're talking about being recycled never went to that lead smelter in Herculaneum. That was a primary lead smelter. So other than that, nothing has really changed.

I agree, though, about the contracted prices and I do think we will see a significant and permanent jump in .22 prices, and likely other types of ammo as well. Not to mention, get ready for the .gov to restrict or completely ban lead ammunition... they've been wanting to for years, and they're probably going to continue trying. There's no real reason for them not to... it's not like they're going to be voted out of office or anything.

It's sad.... I remember just 3-4 years ago when we had WWB .45 FMJ at 34c/round and Federal .223 at 36c/round. You could find as much of either as you wanted any time you walked in the door, essentially. .22 I don't know much about, as I'd never bought a single box of .22 in my life until about a year ago.

Oh well.... it's a brave new world, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom