Alternate ways for defense and/or putting food on the table

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking about ways besides guns and bows for backup defense and/or for killing game for food. I have a blow gun which I used to play with a lot and have killed birds with but it's hard. I have a fancy slingshot that I'm pretty decent with but it needs a new rubber. Never could hit a thing with a boomerang which I have no idea where it's at. Tried a bolo couple times and hurt myself more that anything else. I know how to make a snare and have caught the neighbors dog (60 years ago, getting in trash can). I have several machetes. Tried throwing knives but broke most of them. Have not tried throwing axes but would like to, just don't know which one to get. Any suggestions?
Course there is always fishing if the water doesn't get contaminated.

I hoped it would never get so bad that I would have to go rustle cowcatcher's cow

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Foot hold traps.
Wire box type bird traps catch a lot of birds.
And like you said Snares work very well.
I like my foot hold traps.

Ultimate stealthiness and a sharp knife works wonders also.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For hunting small game like Rabbits/Squirrels I have a 22 Cal air rifle. Quiet,Effective. Cheaper than 22 LR.
(Umarex Octane 22 Cal.)
I have a ton of pellets for it that I ordered when I ordered the rifle.
I have dispatched Rabbits,Squirrel,Opossom Amarillo with it many times.
Yep I have shot many small game with a 22 cal. Benjamin air rifle. still have it tho the leather has dried out being about 60 years old. Do have one of the full auto 22 with 100 rd belts but its not real accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom