Am I a heartless, animal hating monster for this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The municipal animal shelter in Bristow, OK has announced that they inend to use gunfire as a means of euthanizing animals in those cases where an animal has otherwise met all criteria for euthanization. This has caused some controvery, spawning a change.org campaign and a FB propaganda war.

My wife and I support a couple of animal rescue/rehab groups and one of those groups has made a strong call, in the name of the organization, for all supporters to oppose the shelter's move. Here is where my question comes:
- I have repeatedly asked for a clear explanation of why they oppose this method of euthanization IF they don't oppose all euthanization (since in that case it is obvious).
- I have gotten vague replies about ", "barbaric", "backward ass", "cruel", etc but little more.
- When I ask for specifically what makes gunfire worse than say lethal injection, I have only heard one good answer - namely that a botched shot could lead to a suffering animal - which to me suggests taking risk mitigation steps not banning.
- Mostly though I have been told I am "backwards", "part of the problem", that I must hate animals, etc.

It seems to me that most of these people are using their adrenal glands not their frontal lobes to reason out this issue but I am still open to good arguments, all I seem to have gotten so far is highly emotional hyperbole and insults.

So...am I a cruel, animal hating monster? Am I well meaning but badly misguided dupe of the gun lobby?
Is there a good argument that simply isn't being presented? (Let's hear it - sincerely)
Or is this one of those issues where people don't want to think becuase it is too laden with feelings/emotions so I am expecting too much?

I now submit to have your wisdom wash over me...

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect so. The shelter animal control officer says it is in compliance with State law which says that euthanization must be done in a humane manner but does not specify what those might be.
Chemical injections require a veterinarian while shooting does not.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my problem is, that apart from ensuring the person conducting the euthanization is well able to handle a weapon safely and accurately, I don't see how a shot is more inhumane than a lethal injection.

Much of this seems to be tied to anti-gun feeling in general if I am to be guided by the comments I read on FB.

UncleBigToe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm...well....uhhh...ya....lets see here....I got it!
Let's donate the strays to the Zoo! It's perfect....they will pass away from natural causes and the giant Snakes at the zoo will get there bellies full!:yelclap:

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as they use an alcohol pad to clean the area where the bullet will be injected to prevent infection I don't see anything wrong with it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had to put down dogs that I really loved. As far as I can tell, a well placed bullet is humane. I sure wouldn't use it if I thought it wasn't.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose if these people have such an issue with it, I bet they've already started flooding the shelter with monetary donations, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom