Ammunition Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do not store blackpowder in a steel ammo can. The tougher the container the bigger the BOOM!
If your going to store it in a metal box make sure there is a "path of least resistance" such as a non locking lid or very thin soft sheet metal.

I agree with this; storage in an ammo can is usually safe, as long as other precations are taken, such a baracading the can in such a way that if it detonates, its forced against an outside wall. Most local areas have city ordinances that allow only 50lbs max to be stored in a home. I never keep that much around, because I've personally detonated 10lbs of black powder at an outdoor demo range. Secured inside a home, that much depending on location could take out a 2000+ square foot home. Its the reason I listed it in my original post and how to store it. The biggest problem with black powder isn't storage as much as temp change, as it tends to draw mosture to it. Make sure where ever you have it stored put some dessicant in with it.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I was shooting .50 with 1940's headstamps....in 2007 in Afghanistan. Never had a malfunction attributed to ammunition.

That's pretty cool when you think about it.

I have several old .50 rounds from the 40s and even some 30s, maybe even a few earlier than that if I dig around in the pile.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty cool when you think about it.

I have several old .50 rounds from the 40s and even some 30s, maybe even a few earlier than that if I dig around in the pile.

Being a history buff made it really jump out...realizing I was rolling around with stuff that was loaded for WWII, later relabelled "For B-52 Use Only", and then diverted to my gun truck turret was epic.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom