Ammunition Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have heard that the powder was going to start having a short shelf life. Is that true or just a rumor?

As far as ammunition powder and its storage life all depends on its storage, artificial climate(inside the home), proper use of dessicant, and stock rotation. As long as these three are followed, powder should last a very long time.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your recomendations. I store my black powder in a wood box. I heard that was better than an ammo can. The ammo is in cans in a closet with air circulation. So is it ok to store primers in an ammo can?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for your recomendations. I store my black powder in a wood box. I heard that was better than an ammo can. The ammo is in cans in a closet with air circulation. So is it ok to store primers in an ammo can?

Primers are a very energetic brass contained explosive. The priming compound when made and handled must be done so wet, once dry even a brease can cause it to ignite. They should be stored away from all powders till ready for use, and then only what you need.

As to your black powder, you can keep it in the wooden create's but would get them out of the closet, and into your garage, or even better an outdoor storage shed. It only takes a little to do a lot of damage. If something does happen you may find that your homeowners policy will default, and you get nothing.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Primers, do they give any visual indication when they are starting to go bad? Not in loaded rounds, but just primers? The reason I ask, I reloaded some shot shell with 25-30 year old components and had 4 duds in a row, I'm not sure if it was the powder or primer. By dud I mean it fired enough to force the shot and wad out of the end of the barrel, barely. I had shot some reloads (loaded in 1980) before that and they shot okay. The powder was 473AA so that's how old it was.

I wonder how many more watch lists I just made by reading this post? :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom