And... another raid on the wrong place...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If my new friend invites me over to his house, and he texts me the wrong address with the instructions "let yourself in, grad a snack, bathroom is on the left." You proceed to the wrong address, go inside, and use the bathroom. The owners freaks out and either a. Shoots you ( legally in his right) or b. calls the police, and the whole "I got the wrong house" thing doesn't work so well for civilians. It's definitely a double standard

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its all about intent, the LEOs involved thought they we right.

Given the address on the warrant, who made the decision that it was the apartment they went into? Did someone else provide a description of the premises?

If I instruct someone under me to do something that ends up screwing up a client's website, I get held personally responsible whether or not there was any intent.

Who get's held responsible in this case?

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given the address on the warrant, who made the decision that it was the apartment they went into? Did someone else provide a description of the premises?

If I instruct someone under me to do something that ends up screwing up a client's website, I get held personally responsible whether or not there was any intent.

Who get's held responsible in this case?

You are responsible for making it right, you are not charged with a crime as you could be if you hacked someones website and destroyed their data on purpose. Same thing here. I never said no consequenses. The home owner should be compensated for damages, even paid punitive damages for the suffering caused by the loss of a pet. But the LEOs should not be charged as if they were meth heads who just happened bye and decided a home invasion sounded like fun.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are responsible for making it right, you are not charged with a crime

I take it you've not been in a professional B2B services business catering to those who have a significant chunk of change invested in trade secrets, confidential corporate data, or personally identifiable information. The opportunity to "make it right" often isn't there. It often goes direct from "oops" to a court order directing you to pay $$$ due to the negative consequences of your mistake, and if it's something like personally identifiable information you can expect a class action lawsuit from those individuals. It's not like dealing with consumers. The consequences of a mistake are very, very expensive, and very, very real. In dealing with consumers, a mistake here or there is not going to have any real effect on your business. In dealing with businesses, a mistake could mean the end of your world.

Who is responsible for compensating the victim? The taxpayer? That still deflects responsibility from the proper parties.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take it you've not been in a professional B2B services business catering to those who have a significant chunk of change invested in trade secrets, confidential corporate data, or personally identifiable information. The opportunity to "make it right" often isn't there. It often goes direct from "oops" to a court order directing you to pay $$$ due to the negative consequences of your mistake, and if it's something like personally identifiable information you can expect a class action lawsuit from those individuals. It's not like dealing with consumers. The consequences of a mistake are very, very expensive, and very, very real. In dealing with consumers, a mistake here or there is not going to have any real effect on your business. In dealing with businesses, a mistake could mean the end of your world.

Who is responsible for compensating the victim? The taxpayer? That still deflects responsibility from the proper parties.

Yep, pay up. No body trying to put you in prison though. Just what I said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom