Another 1911 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well after contacting a member here about finding an inexpensive 1911, and after talking to a good personal friend about the same thing, I have discovered that you probably get what you pay for to a certain extent with these guns. So my question is, for a CCW is a second tier brand 1911 a good choice, or are you better off going up to the 600-800 range for the Colt, Springfield, and Remingtons? I will not mention any other brands I consider second tier because I don't beleive in brand bashing.

BTW like Surjimmy, I am becoming a 1911 fanatic. LOL.

Jeff

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the proofs in the pudding.

there is no place on the internet to get pudding.

once you get some pudding, like it, and taste it frequently enough to be satisfied that if you ever really really need pudding, that your pudding will do the job as planned, then Id say that your pudding was a good choice. However you define good.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after contacting a member here about finding an inexpensive 1911, and after talking to a good personal friend about the same thing, I have discovered that you probably get what you pay for to a certain extent with these guns. So my question is, for a CCW is a second tier brand 1911 a good choice, or are you better off going up to the 600-800 range for the Colt, Springfield, and Remingtons? I will not mention any other brands I consider second tier because I don't beleive in brand bashing.

BTW like Surjimmy, I am becoming a 1911 fanatic. LOL.

Jeff

Sometimes you get what you pay for...many carry second rate 1911s all day without question. Every manufacturer puts out a bad one from time to time - but they all (should) strive to produce the best they can. No matter the brand I would put it through hell at the range and ensure it will function should I need it.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. However there are somethings that are better then the price suggest. Like the Rock Island Tactical comes to mind. The greatest advice I can give you, don't be in a hurry and you will find some amazing deals out there. I have bought a Yost-Bonitz custom for $1000, a AD Swenson custom for $1200. The Yost today would be a 2yr wait and cost for their bottom package is $3000. The Swenson if in perfect shape $5-$6000. There is an Austin Behlert on Gunbroker right now starting bid is $1149, it has been listed several times and has no bids now. That would be a great buy. Just keep your eye out, and if you want to shoot some of mine just give me call and we can meet up. You bring your own ammo.LOL

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I went shopping today and looked and held and played with a ton of 1911s and my personal favorite is the Springfield, however the price is not my favorite. Since this search was for a CCW candidate, I cannot stomach the idea of possibly losing my 1911 due to having to use it in a self defense situation. So I did purchase what I think is an excellent choice. A Kahr CW45. Size and fit in my hand are perfect. Thanks for the input from everyone. Surjimmy you bet we'll get to the range sometime soon.

Jeff

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a cheap 1911 and have put a couple thousand rounds through it with no failures. I would not be afraid to rely on it and its a $400 gun.

My advice is get to know whatever you get and shoot it a lot and take care of it. You will then know if you can stake your life on it, no matter the price or brand it is.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My advice is get to know whatever you get and shoot it a lot and take care of it. You will then know if you can stake your life on it, no matter the price or brand it is.

That is exactly where I am with the 1911. Easy and forgiving IMHO. However I get the heeby jeebys when I think abou losing it in CCW situation. Go figure, the other gun I'm comfortable with is my Dad old S&W .38 K frame, now a safe queen. Neither is particularly special except to me. I'm hoping I can fall in love with the Kahr due to it's utility value.

Jeff

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a Kahr CW45 for a little over a year as my EDC. It was a decent weapon, with good sights, light to carry, didn't print in my Looper OWB leather and had a smooth trigger. It was a long pull, but very smooth.

I sold it to fund my new EDC, a Ruger SR1911. Like you, I fell in love with the beauty and perfection that is John Browning's masterpiece. If its confiscated by the cops after an SDA event, I'll be depressed, but hopefully comforted by the knowledge that the weapon did exactly what it was intended to do - stop the threat and protect my family. I think that's worth risking a $650 gun.

Gorgeous as it is, it's still a tool and can be replaced. My wife and kids can't be replaced.

I'm glad you found a gun you are comfortable with.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I owned a Rock Island Armory Match, it was well made and the care and pride that was put into it was very evident. However when compared to my new Kimber CDP II there is no comparison. You do get what you pay for, but RIA is a good company for somebody looking to get their first 1911, it for sure taught me a lot.

(as a disclaimer, had I not won the Kimber at the Friends of the NRA dinner I wouldn't own it cause I could never bring myself to drop the coin on it)

Latest posts

Top Bottom